Record shopping in London

Casbah records in Greenwich is a nice shop. Also a good excuse to have a mosey around Greenwich.

Also seconding Flashback (probably my favourite), Sister Ray and Reckless.
Rough Trade of course too.
I read today in Record Collector an American collector/label owner recommending a small shop in London that I’d never heard of called World of Echo…so if you go to Shoreditch you can tick off Flashback, Rough Trade and World of Echo.

World of Echo is on my list to visit when I next get to Ldn.

Looks like it specializes in ambient/drone/modern comp/avant-garde stuff.

3 Likes

Not heard of this before, but just about walking distance from work :thinking:

1 Like

Heading east there’s an amazing stretch of record stores.

Starting at rough trade east, you have flashback (top of brick lane) then world of echo (Columbia Rd), then Yoyo (Hackney Rd), then Stranger than Paradise (Mare St) then my very favourite record store in London/anywhere, Atlantis (Hackney Central)

2 Likes

Thanks all

Second all of this, except I’ve never been to Atlantis, ridiculously. Must do so soon.

World of Echo is cool and the guy that runs it is very nice. No bargains to be had for the most part, but a well-curated selection and the second hand stuff is always interesting. They had a big consignment of stuff from Thurston Moore which had its own section, so you could shop directly from his record collection if you so wished.

Stranger than Paradise is a very nice little shop, but don’t think they do secondhand or CDs if I recall correctly. Nice people though and some bargains to be had sometimes.

Also in the same area as the shops mentioned above is Crypt of the Wizard, for all your death, black, grind, doom, etc needs. These guys are commited to their scene as there’s very, very little in the entire shop that the average person in the street would even have heard of. Not quite sure how they cover the rent, but good on them.

Haa crypt of the wizard reopened? I thought theyd gone online only but its been ages since i was down there.

YEah something of a well kept secret as, when in town, I’ll often do my record shopping in this area - and was totally new one on me.

1 Like

Might try and wander up one lunchtime this week and do a Rough Trade East, Flashback, World Of Echo crawl…

2 Likes