Records you loved when you were 16 that you still adore now

For some of you, being 16 wasn’t that long ago but this weekend DiS turns 16, which has me thinking a lot about reaching that landmark age.

For me, the record that I was obsessed with back then that I still listen to a lot now is Around the Fur by Deftones. I got into it a little after it was out, and although it maybe doesn’t quite eclipse White Pony as my favourites Deftones album, there’s something about it that still feels fresh and enlivening every time I play it. It’s more than just nostalgia for lost youth, there’s something about the brutality of it and the feeling of dank walls and a alien or ancient kinda Prince-like sexual pleasure that gives this record an edge that few I’d heard before I was 16 or since manage to have.

Ahead of playing our 16th Birthday party next week, I asked Laura-Mary from Blood Red Shoes which record she loved when she was 16 that she still loves now and she went for Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins (read the full interview here: http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4150444-blood-red-shoes-laura-mary-carter-discusses-her-new-solo-project )

What about you?

I reckon I still at least like the vast, vast majority of records that I loved at 16.

Every now and then I put on “Play” by Moby

I still give his releases a listen when they come out. Innocents was great.

Doolittle
Technique
Disintegration
Heaven or Las Vegas
Pod

What Antpocalypsenow said.

Listened to a podcast the other day about the bloke who lent Moby a CD boxset that he took loads of the samples from Play from trying to get him to return it. Was quite good.

the first record I owned was this This Are Two Tone. got it for my 16th birthday. still like it now. cheers

that sounds great. you got a link?

https://gimletmedia.com/episode/2-gregor/

Was good! (As was the first episode, it’s called Heavyweight)

Different Class

Heaven or Las Vegas. Bought it just after it came out and now 26 years later its still my favourite album of all time. Timeless and peerless.

Converge - Jane Doe
ATDI - Relationship of Command
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
QOTSA - Rated R
The Icarus Line - Mono
Glassjaw - EYEWTKAS

• Mezzanine
  • Vanishing Point
  • Melting Pot (Charlatans best of)
  • Dig Your Own Hole

They’re the ones whose CD cases didn’t close properly because I’d opened them so often (except Mezzanine, limited edition card case :+1:).

Floppy CD case but don’t love it as much as when I was 16 award:

• Urban Hymns

He is a true pop music plagiarist. I would definitely listen to that boxset though.

A lot of REM. Out Of Time and Automatic as well as their Best Of during their IRS years.

I think at 16 I was either getting lifts everywhere in my mate’s car or playing Mario Kart Double Dash, so anything that soundtracked those things really, namely:

Death from Above 1979 - You’re a Woman, I’m a Machine
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
Prince - Purple Rain
Blood Brothers - Crimes
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Converge - Jane Doe
ATDI - Relationship of Command
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
QOTSA - Rated R
The Icarus Line - Mono
Glassjaw - EYEWTKAS

yeah this is was pretty much me too. I think add Vertigo of Bliss by Biffy and Shape of Punk to Come by Refused and we’re pretty much there. Still like all of them even if I don’t really listen to any of them that much, bar Converge occasionally

most of these too

i didn’t have great musical taste at age 16. i think i bought ‘13’ by blur around then though, which is still really excellent.

Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview
Capdown - Civil Disobedients

Still love both now; Hello Rockview is one of my top 10 albums of all time.

Turned 16 in 1992.

Still listen to:
REM - Automatic For The People
Faith No More - Angel Dust
The Cure - Wish
The Lemonheads - It’s a Shame About Ray
Prince - Love Symbol Album
Carter USM - 1992 - The Love Album
Abba - Gold

Don’t listen to anymore
Ugly Kid Joe - America’s Least Wanter
Alice In Chains - Dirt
INXS - Welcome To Wherever You Are
Arrested Development - 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days
Manics - Generation Terrorists
Lionel Richie - Back To Front
RATM - S/T
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Singles - OST

Obviously there’s loads more that I listen to now that I didn’t get into at the time, some that have subsequently become favourites (Laser Guided Melodies, Going Blank Again, Check Yo Head, Slanted & Enchanted and Henry’s Dream spring to mind).