🚗🚙 Rocket League Official Thread 🚗🚙

Just won a game of doubles. My team mate had a ping of 952. Then after the game had finished it told me I’d been kicked for being idle and now I’m banned for 5 mins for leaving a match.

Frustrating. As is when the game glitches and you score an easy goal, then…nothing happens, and you realise none of the other cars are moving. Followed being booted, or suddenly arriving back in the game stuck in a corner as your opponents score. Irk.

Made it passed the Bronze Season teir, so now working towards the next one. Can only progress if I’m ranked gold… But I’ve never been ranked gold. Ever. This’ll be fun.

They announced changes coming yesterday.

Highlights

• Cross platform parties will hit in the summer-ish
  • Switch is getting visual updates
  • Season 7 starts next week
  • A new Tournament mode is coming in the spring
  • New arenas as well

Took a quick break from work and I done this

Noice. That’s the exact kind of shot I’m really good at missing by miles and flopping harmlessly to the ground while the opponents score at the other end.

nice goal. still can’t get the hang of ballcam tbh. did you just keep practising with it? ever switch?

heh

I switch loads between the two cameras during any given match depending on what I’m trying to do. e.g. If I’m trying to get back to defend while the ball is still near the opposition goal, I’ll use normal cam to set a rough line back to my goal, then flip to ball cam to keep an eye on the play, maybe switch back to regular cam to make sure I hit the big boost pick up. Or if I’m trying to blow up an attacker who is otherwise about to tap in a cross I would be on regular cam because my line is more important than the ball.

Used to be I couldn’t hit the ball flying on ball cam as it’s too many angles to be juggling mentally but loads of practice has put paid to that. My advice would be to start forcing yourself to use it, particularly in low pressure situations - e.g. when you’re casually making your way up or down the pitch - to get a feel for the steering (which is exactly the same but a different perspective). It totally opened up the game for me when I got the hang of it - it’s as useful in terms of your awareness as flying is useful for hitting the ball.

cheers. i’m pretty good without ballcam but feel like i’ve reached a limit now. i feel like it’s defiantly necessary in order to get your aerial game decent. on normal cam probably only make contact with the ball 25% of the time in the air.

might just stick to ballcam and try and relearn it over again

at the weekend me and the boy played rocket league as a slit screen pair vs people online for the 1st time

Was great fun

My son is muchhhhh better than me - we were on fire, winning every match, until we played a pair of Pros and they smashed us

great way to play though

I found the post-Season 6, new Season 7 placement matches being really annoying. After playing the first 10 to get ranked, I got Silver III Division IV. Not that I think I am amazing, but I was sure I’d be able to get “out” of that division.

Nope.

I seriously keep getting paired with folk who are quite a bit worse than me. Thye’ll score own goals, miss shots, fight me for the ball all the time, and never ever fucking come back to defend. It leaves me either woefully losing most matches or scoring low in wins that I help orchestrate.

I went down to Silver I Division II before bringing it back to Silver II Division II. I know it doesn’t matter, and the match making is good, but just last night I thumped a team 9-0, so I don’t know how the hell they ended up playing us, you know?

The matchmaking is a black box, and I know why - so we can’t game it. But at least in Season 6 I could feel that I was playing with and against folk in my “bracket” and could see why I was losing or winning, and not progressing. But now it feels like a crapshoot.

I don’t know if anyone else feels like this. Getting out of Silver I puirportedly the hardest part of the ranking levelling, as it’s the start of the rise to better players and the peak of the non-fanatics, but by god it’s aping my energy.

Still, I think I love this game more than any other online game ever.

I had a similar experience. I was playing with a mate of mine in doubles on Wednesday. Usually we play 3v3 in which I’m usually around high gold and he’s low platinum. After our placement matches it put us in silver, which we felt pretty indignant about, but then we couldn’t muscle our way out for love nor money. The quality of opponents was all over the place. I reckon it’ll shake out as the season goes on but it’s a bit weird hammering teams one minute and then getting spanked the next.

Used to have periods where I would oscillate wildly between bronze and high silvers. Early season placed me back where I started but ranking matches were a real mixed bag. I wonder if the Switch (you’re on switch, right?) scene is just less settled due to being less mature, perhaps multiplied by a bunch of folks just discovering ranked play due to the new season starting.

This is probably more likely, as most of my games are crossplatform matches in Competetive. Very rarely do I see an all-Switch (yeah, I play on the Switch) match tbh.

I scored a fun goal!

like a young gareth bale vs inter

yeah this, i’m stuck in bronze 3 or something and for the first time feel like my teammates are constantly holding me back rather than vice-versa

so angry at the last man back ignoring you / the ball in favour of getting boost