šŸ¤³ Reducing image/file storage

As said by others, donā€™t think itā€™s an issue if you delete any of the selfie threads. Probably worth though doing a heads up over on the social board tho, so people can get a chance to save any they might want to grab.

2 Likes

Any idea how I do that?

Itā€™s a default settingā€¦

Totally fine with me to get rid of selfies. To be honest any image thatā€™s more than a few months old should go I reckon.

Selfie-wise most of us has discussed it before and Iā€™m pretty sure the consensus was ditch them

7 Likes

Anyone want me to put all my selfies in a zip file and put it in a public Google drive so you can still wank over them?

4 Likes

Would be good to know when the old files are getting deleted though, for example itā€™d be nice to keep the contents of this thread for posterity.

2 Likes

Would add this one for the archive as well

Basically, any thread where users here are creating unique content, rather than copying it from elsewhere.

Fwiw, Iā€™d say delete the selfie threads after a week or two, for both personal data security and space - Iā€™d imagine photos are generally bigger than memes or whatever, so thatā€™d get the biggest savings. Might get more people posting in the selfie threads if they knew theyā€™d be taken down as well, sort of like a delayed Snapchat.

2 Likes

Yeah, biggest files tend to be uploads straight from the phone camera innit. Iā€™ve started uploading screenshots of photos rather than the original

If you take them in messenger or WhatsApp they tend to be a lot smaller as well

(discovered this cos it works if you need to take a photo of a train ticket for a delay repay but are above the file size limit)

1 Like

Firstly, donā€™t worry, it would be hard to find threads like the Mclusky one, which one need to be deleted manually and I love that thread and never would.

Iā€™m going to get rid of some really old selfie threads and see if it makes any difference.

7 Likes

has something happened to gifs? been some (very funny) tiny giffing the last couple of days

(obviously gifs are not very space efficient anyway)

I reduced upload limits to 1meg and not to download images from elsewhere to our server, so itā€™s maybe compressing them?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve worked with @discourse and managed to reduce some of our storeage but weā€™re still right at limit

Want me to delete old selfie threads etc, as has been discussed before?

Yeah, I think deleting those will be a big help. As long as you donā€™t think people will kick off?

Nope I think itā€™ll be fine. Iā€™ll look into it in the next few days :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@wewerewerewolvesonce Just FYI

Thanks let me know if you need a hand with this.

1 Like

kicks off

:wink:

Be nice to Sean, tilty.

2 Likes