references

how often do you use references? do you have any favourites you always go back to? do people enjoy your reference use? do you think you could stop if you wanted to?

realised I’d quoted “the lady’s not for turning” and D:REAM within the first 5 minutes of talking to my flatmate today, and they weren’t even especially deliberate ones

think it’s an ingrained personality trait now

Is this like a call back in comedy terms?

If so all the time with everyoe

3 Likes

yeah but recognisable things others would (in theory) know, not just injokes

Always ask one of the senior managers at my old job

3 Likes

9 Likes

With my siblings, we use a lot because we grew up watching the same shows - anime, cartoon network, simpsons, futurama, south park etc. Also my brothers and I really like the key and peele sketches since they were on mad tv or films like lord of the rings or game of thrones etc so we use a lot of these when talking and it makes us laugh. Will use simpsons references on here but otherwise don’t use references much at all with others

2 Likes

Probably my most used reference…

2 Likes

Second is probably ‘Course you can, Malcolm’, which nobody under forty gets, though I’m 27.

1 Like

Yeah, I reference BS EN60080:2020 quite a lot, along side The Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002.

3 Likes

Mostly things from look around you.

Say ‘water, water, what has thou dunst?’far too often when it rains or my beloved spills something

Here at 8.18

4 Likes

Sometimes find myself using the “Thanks ants. Thants” formula with people who have no idea what the fuck I’m talking about.

1 Like

Mate of mine used to have a boss whose two favourite things to reference were:
The Graham Taylor documentary from the early 90s
Wearside Jack

My mate started referencing both of these things a lot as a result of this

Just too many to mention from look around you:
‘A change has taken place’
‘The party was cancelled’
‘New albumen coming soon’

1 Like

Still love referencing the Democracy Manifest video. Put “Tah Tah and Farewell” in a leaving card the other week

1 Like

Whenever anyone suggests I do literally anything

3 Likes

When something good happens to me i often go for

everythings-coming-up-milhouse-lucky

2 Likes

i do say ‘well i’ll tell you’ like this guy from monty python and the holy grail quite a lot when people ask me a question, but every time i do it i wonder if people even notice never mind get the reference

thats fine i suppose, it is a very silly thing to reference. i just always thought there was something so funny about it, even when i watched it as a kid it made me giggle so much the daft way he says ‘well i’ll tell you’. it reminds me a bit of how whenever my gran was telling a story about someone telling her summat weird or funny she’d always end it with ‘and then i said oh right’ which drives me wild how subtly funny it was

1 Like

Available on request

1 Like