Reissues / Remasters

Eh… that’s not quite what I intended to post.

*I’m sure there will be some nice surprises in there once I’m familiar with the original track run.

In The Pines is a bit of a special case - as you probably know they decamped to a ranch in the middle of nowhere with a cheap mobile recording rig and kept recording until they ran out of booze. Some of the songs they recorded were new ones which the record company wanted to save for the next ‘proper’ album. Those are restored to the reissue version and I much prefer those versions to the ones on Calenture (which are blighted by dated 80s over-production in my view). There’s a sense in which the expanded version is truer to the original purpose of the project than the album issued at the time.

1 Like

The reissue also has the wonderful full length version of Born Sandy Devotional- God only knows why they cut that short on the original version of In The Pines

Funnily enough I read about that today. Definitely be going back to that version of In the Pines then, as you’ve said, it sounds like the more definitive of the two. Really enjoyed first spin of everything I’ve listened to so far (Born Sandy Devotional, In the Pines, Calenture).

Cheers mate. Ordered!

It’s worth listening to some of their early stuff, which is rough and ready but in places really brilliant. There used to be an excellent compilation called Love in Bright Landscapes, but that is hard to get hold of now. The Domino compilation Beautiful Waste is good, also the first album Treeless Plain.

There are some great songs on the early records - Raining Pleasure, Red Pony, Property is Condemned, Hell of a Summer

I love the later records too, but the production on some of their major label albums is now very dated sounding

I actually now prefer the new acoustic versions of quite a few of the songs, including When Loves Breaks Down.

Yeah planning on listening to Treeless Plain tomorrow. Just started with Born Sandy as it seems to get a fair amount of traction on here.