Remember anything?

4 Likes

I had an arts and crafts book as a small child and one of the activities in it was to make a kind of jangly net curtain by looping lots of those old ringpulls together. I wasn’t allowed fizzy drinks very much and marveled at the idea that anyone would have enough to loop more than about five together.

Anyone remember when Rio first launched and instead of a ringpull it has two circle bits that you pushed down to open the can? Can’t find an image of it online.

2 Likes

That’s the one! Ta.

Wonder why they never took off?

I cut my finger badly on one of those ringpulls when I was a kid. Glad they got rid of them

TV reality show The Race, which had as contestants people like the singer from AC/DC, Gary Numan, Ingrid Tarrant, Ms Dynamite, Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Les Ferdinand

I had one of those! Think it was phone 2 or 3

I had a little device which could re seal opened old school cans.

They used to be used on Pepsi cans in the states for quite a while, but they failed often and apparently it was easier for people to cut their finger as they pushed it through.

marckee what’s up with these new-fangled cans* where the basically entire top comes off with the ring pull?

*are they new? does anyone have any idea what I’m talking about?

Like tinned tomatoes?

They’ve been around for years. I guess it means that they’re easier to open if you don’t have a can opener.

no, I mean drinking cans. I had a wanky beer with one, for example.

For drinks, like this?

Fairly recent invention as far as I know.

3 Likes

Oh, I’ve never had one of those.

that’s it!

any idea what the point is?

Google tells me they were introduced in 2013, so that drinkers can peel off the top of the can and enjoy the contents as if drinking from a regular cup.It essentially eliminates the need for separate glassware.

There are called the “360 lid”.

1 Like

I was thinking about them the other day. The riff to the dream is over pops into my head every so often

I constantly have Capitalism Stole My Virginity in my head

DISTASTEFUL UGLY AND CHEEEEEEEEEAP
THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE ME FEEL

2 Likes

‘beer cans will never be the same again’. that’s true innovation

1 Like

every time someone says “the dream is over” my brain goes

THE DREAM IS OVER YOU SEEEEEE
ITS NOT COMING BACK FOR ME
BAMBADAMDAM, dadadaDAMBADAMDAM