Reproductive rights (including Repeal the 8th)

I think this deserves its own thread.

The UK Supreme Court has just ruled by a majority of 3 to 2 that the UK government can stop women from Northern Ireland accessing abortions on the NHS, even when they are in England. This was the UK government fighting an appeal by a UK citizen who was a child at the time of having to pay for her abortion. Anyone assuming they’re not going to concede anything on women’s rights and LGBT rights to the DUP should probably read this.

summary: https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2015-0220-press-summary.pdf

full judgement: https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2015-0220-judgment.pdf

Fucking disgraceful.

What’s the legal grounding for that? Is healthcare devolved or something?

I’m not clever enough to properly take in legal documents tbh, is this the key section: “A difference of treatment between UK citizens present in England on the grounds of usual residence falls within the scope of “other status” for the purposes of article 14”

Like “other status” is vague enough for it to be deemed applicable here?

Right, got ya. Thanks DazBaz, you are extremely good at explaining things to people who are less smart than you :thumbsup:

4 Likes

my understanding of abortion as an issue used to be very basic, i pretty much knew nothing about it - the only conversation i’d ever had relating to it was when someone mentioned in passing (no idea why) that the thing we were talking about was like the two sides of the abortion argument. you’re either pro life or pro choice, it’s not like it’s pro life or pro death. therefore pro choice is the reasonable side of the argument to take

then last year i saw a poet called Julie do a spoken word piece, written like a letter to the pro life movement and it absolutely floored me. one example of the things in it: IVF treatment unavoidably involves the destruction of fertilised eggs, but the pro life movement don’t seem to have a problem with this.

i spoke to julie afterwards and somehow ended up convincing her a few months later that i could write music to go with her poems

here’s the one about the pro life movement

(cheeky JAG but it is relevant)

6 Likes

I don’t see how this is at all compatible with EU law

its astonishing that this is a thing. how can some uk nationals not have the same rights as others? i cant get my head round how this can be ruled to be ok, its outrageous

8 Likes

whats SRHR?

edit: sexual and reproductive health and rights, googled it

sexual reproduction human robocop

1 Like

This always seems more to do with control, and sex - than it does about the politics of reproduction even. It’s inherently misogynistic and it seems like the ulterior motive (if not exterior) seems to always be about slut shaming / putting women in jeopardy for daring to be sexually active at any time in their lives.

1 Like

the more i think about it the less it makes sense. i get that healthcare is devolved, but why shouldnt women from NI have the same right to access to healthcare as rUK? if im in wales or scotland or NI, wouldnt i have the same right to access healthcare as if im in england? god the more i think about it the stupider it seems

3 Likes

Of course it has to be timed as to not coincide with the papal visit, wouldn’t want those to clash would we.

I’m really, really wary about what wording this could have. I don’t trust Varadker or his government at all.

4 Likes

So, if I understand this correctly - I, as an EU citizen, can travel to any EU country & recieve the same health rights as any other citizen of that country - but, because someone travelling from NI to England/Wales/Scotland is not crossing state-to-state, internal rather than EU jurisdiction applies?

2 Likes

Here’s 2016 Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey results on attitude to abortions

http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/results/abortion.html

seems like people want a change in the law but I don’t even think there’s an appetite to extend the 1967 act sadly.

Great, let’s force women to have Children they don’t want. I can’t see anything reprehensible about that at all.

That’s fucking terrifying

Not sure what’s to be done about it. The largest parties only support abortion in the case of FFA/sexual crimes, if they support abortion at all. Only the Green Party favours full decriminalisation, and they have 2 MLAs.

1 Like

sometimes I think it’s not the laws that are fucked but that the people the laws represent

then I remember the laws are fucked too

doesn’t feel like 2017

1 Like

It’s one of those situations like the death penalty, where most people would support it but it’s illegal because it’s medieval. The world is a strange place to be.

1 Like

Yes, it is. Women are frequently prosecuted for obtaining abortions in Northern Ireland (e.g. by buying abortion pills online). Recently there were police raids on women’s homes in Belfast in an attempt to find concealed abortion pills.

It is terrifying. Northern Irish women are UK tax-payers but they can’t access the same treatment, and indeed, the same dignity as their English counterparts. There have been accounts of irish women bleeding out on the floors of airports in England because they’ve been forced to travel for an abortion but haven’t had enough money for a place to stay. It makes me so furious and ashamed of my home country. The political system in Northern Ireland is too polarised and sluggish to be fit for purpose, imo (no wonder NI hasn’t had a government for months now…) People use women’s lives to score cheap political points, and change is slow. Something has to change, and soon.

5 Likes