Reproductive rights (including Repeal the 8th)

Right, i get it.

Thanks for the clarification

yeah this happened to a friend of a friend a while ago. she was reported to the police by her own housemates.

fuuuuuuuuuucking hell :confounded:

2 Likes

Was that the lady mentioned in all the articles when the story broke? Fuuuuck.

yeah, i don’t know them at all but my friend was telling me she knows the girl and about what happened

This is worth putting out there as well. Though it’s not the solution there are safe options within NI. I believe that women seeking these pills are also able to talk to a doctor online.

What happened to the woman reported by her housemates was ridiculous, and the reporting on it was awful.

God, that’s so horrible. That poor woman. Really, really hope she’s okay.

1 Like

And it takes self interest to make the situation even slightly better

2 Likes

not linking to the article i found cos it’s fucked up but jesus christ look at this:

“We tried so hard to support her when she told us about the pregnancy but it made me so angry when she kept calling it ‘the pest’. Then, after the abortion, she showed no remorse. It was so weird the way she reacted to what had happened,” said the woman.

puritanical view of how much guilt a woman should show for her jezebel ways.

anyone remember the story about the women in their 60s/70s who protested the abortion laws by getting some of those pills and taking them, and still got nicked even though they can’t have kids? was inspiring/insane/scary in equal measure.

Amazing news today. I’m surprised and delighted. Obviously we still have a lot of work to do and it’s important we keep the pressure on Stormont - but this is an excellent step in the right direction.

7 Likes

Btw if anyone feels INSPIRED and is in that London and would like to come to some London-Irish ARC events with me, drop me a message! Redirecting...

3 Likes

Scottish one just been set up too

2 Likes

nothing to do with NI but :confused:

I know that Warped Tour aren’t directly responsible for this but I really hate how people are latching onto groups like these as if they’re representing some sort of counter cultural moment when in fact they’re just entirely regressive.

1 Like

Surely, surely this will go the right way…

It’s somewhat heartening that this made it to the NYT:

Buuuuuuuutttt… knowing full well NI’s voting record I – sadly – don’t think anything meaningful will come to pass in our ass-backwards, stuck-in-medieveal-times, purgatorial region.

Hopefully, it will get passed, but depending on how they word the question, do you think it will get caught up in legal purgatory (either intended or not)? I was thinking if the question was something like “Do you think abortion should be made legal?” then the definition of it might get caught up in the courts, as arguments continued.

Do you mean in NI or ROI? In ROI, the question will likely be “Do you support the repeal of the eighth amendment to the constitution” or similar, the eighth amendment being what gives equal rights to the life of the unborn. If that’s the case, I think the legal standing will be pretty cut and dry, as the constitution trumps all. The problem is then that it’s up to the Dáil/parliament to legislate, and they’re a pretty damn conservative bunch, so access will still probably be heavily restricted.

Sorry, I meant in ROI. That’s a good point. I agree that the folks in the Dail are conservative for sure. I just think that they will almost try and keep kicking it down the road to see if they can not do anything about it until the next election. I almost feel like no Government wants to be the one responsible for abortion to be legalised.