Reselling records vs Ticket touts

Curious why we feel differently about this. Is it because reselling a ticket feels more like ripping off the artist (even if it’s technically the promoter) and reselling a record feels different because it’s a tangible physical good, rather than just access to an experience?

Is it maybe because we don’t usually buy records for profit… and why record store day resellers on eBay feel different to Discogs community?

Always curious why tickets for flights or trains feel so difference to gigs. Like, technically you could buy every train ticket out of London at Christmas and resell them (I’m sure there are laws stopping you from legally doing this)

Anyway, looking forward to better understanding why people feel differently about this. Probably something really obvious.

“Always curious why tickets for flights or trains feel so difference to gigs. Like, technically you could buy every train ticket out of London at Christmas and resell them (I’m sure there are laws stopping you from legally doing this)”

Really?

Because when people resell a record, its usually at half the price and for something widely available. Touts buy up tickets for a one off event, preventing fans being able to go, and charge extortionate prices

3 Likes

Reselling something you no longer want/need and have had your use from it:

• Fine

Buying a ticket to a gig/plane etc or purchasing an item with the sole intent of flipping it to make £££:

• Dickheads imo
9 Likes

If people are buying records with the sole intention of reselling them at a profit then that is bad

But I don’t think that happens very often

2 Likes

if i do it then it’s okay

if others do it then it’s despicable

2 Likes

:joy:

Oh sweet summer child…

7 Likes

Its not as common as ticket scalping (also bad)

1 Like

Cheers for the train ticket trip though,will be making use of that. Quiet carriages here I come

Weirdly you dont really get ticket touts around here (thank fuck) but always some record flippers in NI according to ebay just after an RSD.

But aye both shitty imo

Just to clarify, because I find it a bit uncomfortable to have a post quoted here outside of the parent thread, my post above is from the NFT threads and about the idea that records shouldn’t be repressed and that labels/artists should get a cut when they get sold at higher prices on the secondary market.

On this topic; ticket touts prey on FOMO, and they exploit fans. Same goes for record flippers tbh.

Stuff that is sold because someone no longer wants it for a price related to the original is fine.

8 Likes

If people don’t want to buy an expensive resell vinyl they have lots of other options (buy a different pressing, buy a CD, download, stream) to get essentially the same experience.

If people don’t want to buy an expensive touted ticket they can’t go to see the thing they want to see

7 Likes

Buy all tickets
Sell all except quiet coach for massive markups
Fund buying out an entire carriage for a very quiet journey

Sounds like a plan to me tbh tbf

3 Likes

People hoovering up RSD exclusives etc. Solely for reselling are the equivalent, and hold them in as little regard

1 Like

There’s loads of rage about record flippers, or even just people selling at above original cost for something not being pressed.

1 Like

@TKC = Train King Choochoo!

3 Likes

There are definitely some things that only seem to be available on vinyl and have for whatever reason never ended up digitally available but this is an exceptionally small minority.

1 Like

Imagining @TKC outside new street with a big puffa jacket on shouting “buy or sell” “anyone need train tickets buy or sell” “get your train tickets” “anyone need tickets”

7 Likes

Do you want to pair up and get this scheme really on the tracks (as they say in the business hahah)

2 Likes

Sounds like the kind of thing an Adam West era Batman villain would do.

1 Like