Retroactive re-naming of things

yeah I jusr googled it and I’m completely wrong :grinning:

5 Likes

does seem a bit weird to start a then non-existent series of 9 at number 4

2 Likes

The smashing pumpkins Vs Nirvana

Billy Corgan can’t be stopped

1 Like

Don’t think either of those is retroactive.

oh yeah

this is a good point, that’s just straight up renaming

sort it out japes

1 Like

We have always been at war with Eastasia

These are called Retronyms.

Some good examples in here:

1 Like

Hundred Years’ War

5 Likes

Jimmy Eat World’s “Bleed America” was renamed as an eponymous album after the Sept 11 attacks in New York.

6 Likes

I was about to mention this one.

This was filmed/broadcast on Thursday 6th September 2001

2 Likes

im sure i remember reading that apparently he knew that if he started at the beginning he’d never get finished. this was before the prequels that i remember reading that tho, but wow was he right!

Sweetcorn - > Corn on the cob

Yesterday I learned that loads of English towns used to have a Gropecunt Lane. They all got renamed for some reason.

3 Likes

Chris Cornell’s first solo album was resissued a couple of years ago as Euphoria Mourning, which is what he originally wanted to call it nack in 1999 but was pressured by his label to call it Euphoria Morning.

1 Like

Those unlistenable early Animal Collective records were originally released under various artist names, they only became AC records later on.

2 Likes

oh yeah owen pallett renamed all the old final fantasy albums as owen pallett albums as well!

2 Likes

The two Viet Cong records are now on spotify under the Preoccupations name.

Manitoba → Caribou is another good one.

3 Likes

You can still pick up copies that are titled Bleed America (I picked it up on vinyl back in April last year). I think the name change was more prevalent in the US for obious reasons, but outside of the US it’s still mainly known as Bleed America.