Revision

I find it really hard to focus if I actually sit down to revise. I tended to read and reread, then rewrite notes occasionally but my main focus was on question spotting and drafting model answers to the usual questions. I am hugely lazy so this was usually done at the last minute in a panic.

I do have a very good memory so could often regurgitate whole bits of lectures in exams. During my literature undergrad I wrote more than one essay in an exam about books I hadn’t actually read.

I did the flash card thing during my legal studies and for weeks after exams would have nightmares about case names.

I did a programme management certification last year and hated it as it’s impossible to do without rote learning specific terms that you’ll never use again.

I used Anki to make flashcards, it’s free, has a mobile app and helps to drill information into your brain.

Shit way of learning/assessing learning though - abolish exams. *

*Or at least abolish them being the only, compulsory method of assessment.

1 Like

My way of revising is to write things down but in a very visually appealing way, with loads of coloured pens and maybe a mind map or a diagram here or there. I used to get my friends to test me on things for my journalism exams as well.

I like more creative ways of learning when I have time, like I used to write scripts to help me learn Latin literature (in the context of having a sleepover with Virgil and he was telling me this story about this dude called Aeneas, every so often his storytelling would be broken up by me interjecting about how boring his story was). Yes I know I’m home counties scum.

For Countdown word learning I had two books: one which laid out words I’d missed online in the following format:

And another with lists of useful stems, aka ANGRIEST+L= TRIANGLES, but you’d have every stem of ANGRIEST listed in alphabetical order

1 Like