Rice Cookers

I can ask the TV for her method as its usually great.

When we finally got the visa sorted and the TV moved back to the UK permanently - we had to make room in the little suitcase space she had for this…I thought she was mad, but can’t live without it now.

2 Likes

There was a programme he did with Ching He Huang, probably about 10 years ago, that really stuck with me for some reason

Thats the last encounter I had with Ken Hom

1 Like

Yeah, I was going to post this but only have 3 proper Chinese mates so thought my data pool was low. But all 3 have rice cookers. As did my mother in law (Indian - the cooker we inherited) and all her mates had them too.

I think white people are most critical of them (I was one of them) but are the people most in need of them (I was one of them).

1 Like

I would get one but would need to get rid of either my pasta cooker or egg boiler.

2 Likes

Just realised I did add this. Fucking hell.

You can boil eggs in a rice cooker.

“Cook rice the normal way in the rice cooker …then add a few spoons of a mirin + sugar + white vinegar mixture and leave to cool.”

The rice doesn’t necessarily need to be Sushi rice, normal short grain is great. Also that mixture is the equivalent of “rice vinegar” you can get in supermarkets.

1 Like

Rice to cook you. To cook you, rice

1 Like

:smiley:

Feels very @profk content.

1 Like

I have an electric one that cost a tenner, wasn’t bothered with the idea but I think it is great. I know the method for doing it in a pan but this is literally just add water and rice using the cup it comes with, switch it on, it cooks it and keeps it warm automatically and you can pick up the internal pot and take it to the table. Takes up no more space than another saucepan. It is perfect every single time without me touching it. There is one in every Asian household (so I am led to believe anyway) like a kettle or toaster is here so I’m happy it is authentic. If there was such a thing as a pasta cooker that would be ridiculous as you just boil that, but rice can be dry or soggy rather easily if you don’t cook it and time it just right.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1329773806135767040

I bought a rice cooker!

it is good. I have to put in way less water than recommended to stop it going gloopy though.

And it doesn’t do sticky rice very well (i know it’s not designed to)

Basmati and Thai are decent though. All in all only a minor improvement on my previous saucepan efforts, but a bit more convenient.

Are you after sticky rice for sushi?

If you add a bit of rice vinegar, sugar + salt (after washing 2 to 3 times) it helps. Also rest time in and out the rice cooker helps.

1 Like

Happy to report my panda is going strong.

Only ever done brown rice in it (I’m boring) but like Uncle Ben falsely claimed it’s perfect every time.

The only bad thing about our rice cooker is that its made by Tatung and not Zojirushi so doesn’t play the cute song!

tbh i’ve pretty much decided that making sushi is bullshit and officially classified as ‘more trouble than its worth’. just get a takeaway imo.

1 Like

We use sushi rice in rice bowls/poke, so get through a fair bit.

As littleforts says, you need to wash it through a few times beforehand (I do it four times). I’ve never added anything but water to it to cook it though.

How much water is it telling you to put in?- mines a 1:1 rice to water ratio and it’s never been gloopy at all

I’m thinking about buying a 2nd rice cooker and maybe giving my current one away. It works just fine but is too big for doing a single (big) portion at a time, the ratio of crispy bottom rice to regular rice is off. But I’m still 100% team rice cooker

If you’re cooking short grain or sushi rice, getting one of these rice sieves for a couple of quid is well worth it

I go for 1:1:1

(1 cup of rice. 1 cup of water in washed and rinsed rice. 1 cup of water in the rice cooker.)