Richard Dawson 2022

Mine should be home when I get back later! Can’t wait.

Don’t suppose anyone ended up with a spare or two for the Moth Club show? 5 minutes from my flat but they sold out so quickly I missed out :cry:

Oh it’s really really good :heart:

1 Like

I’m so excited to listen in the morning.

1 Like

Civil Servant is a hell of an opener.

1 Like

It is. There’s way too much to take in on first listen, but I’m just letting it all wash over me and picking out the occasional snippets from the lyrics.

I’m guessing these are all characters and vignettes from small town life of some fictional place - maybe mapped out on the cover?. I love the world he’s created (like an updated Under Milk Wood or something?) Get the feeling I’m going to be unpacking and hearing new stuff from this record for a good while.

First impressions very good.

2 Likes

Yeah, just on my second listen now…so much to take in haha. Looking forward to getting the record and following along with a lyric sheet. It feels like a Peasant for the modern day, to be simplistic and trite, like the repeat of the No-One interlude as well.

His songwriting is just so wild and interesting, and this album has a lot more hooks (Two Halves chorus has been in my head for weeks). I find it hard to describe just how much I love his music, definitely one of the only artists since being a teen music obsessive I just love everything by.

2 Likes

The David Squires comic that comes with it is cool

3 Likes

Is that just for pre-orders?

I got it direct off the Domino website yesterday, should still be in stock!

Tbh, Peasant never clicked with me at all, but the singles from this new one were so good that I got drawn in. There’s so much flair and imagination on this album.

Agreed on Two Halves. It’s a great take on youth football and parents living vicariously through their children. Takes me back to playing on the local kids team, getting shouted at by the coaches and being a bit scared every time we had to play the tough kids from Skelmersdale…

As I alluded to in the new releases thread, not been this excited by a new album in a very long time (even longer if you just count albums that have taken me by surprise). I liked what I heard of Peasant but didn’t investigate it in depth, nonetheless I think I prefer the setting for these songs and the “pop” influence appears to manifest in incredibly singable choruses (Oooover theeeere in the labyrinth of neeeeeoooon).

I’m going to give a break for a couple of dats, and return to it after, in the hope that I still think its wonderful and this isn’t a fever dream.

I also love the fact that his voice is one of the few that I could imagine myself mimicking fairly effectively…but then equally it’s a very expressive and varied instrument.

Dead Dog in an Alleyway is incredible, the version on the 6music show too. Just love this album.

1 Like

2020 is something else, eh?

So many brilliant songs. No one like him.

7 Likes

Yep, it’s incredible

AOTY quite easily

I’m a bit in love with Fresher’s Ball.

1 Like

Yeah this is bloody brilliant. Bonkers but brilliant

1 Like

It’s remarkable, just so unique, and so of a piece with Peasant in terms of the thought he’s put into the instrumentation, reflecting the times in which the characters live in and that. It IS a bit too maudlin for me sometimes though, although that’s part of the appeal… Can’t wait to see him later this month!!!

I have just listened to it again tonight, can’t see myself loving an album more this year. Black Triangle and The Queen’s Head have stealthily grown to be my faves I think…but the chorus of Two Halves is perfect.