Richard Dawson 2022

Also known as an “album” :wink:

7 Likes

I hope for more from an album! Especially one which seems to have aspirations to be more than that!

Haha I know what you were getting at - I’ve found the record to be perfect listening whilst I’m working (lovely but not too distracting) - but need to give it some spins with my full attention

1 Like

can you just skip and listen to it from track 2 onwards? That’s still 40 mins of music, a perfectly acceptable album in its own right!

1 Like

It is definitely possible that it will come together for me, especially if I pay some attention to the lyrics

2 Likes

Think it’s too long to properly digest in one sitting so I’m gonna choose to listen to it in separate chunks (as I did with Have One On Me)

Yet to get to grips with the second ‘half’ but The Hermit is up there with his best things he’s ever done imho

2 Likes

I think it’s all bloody beautiful and the Hermit really gives off a lot of Dirty Three vibes. Works perfectly as double, The Hermit over 2 sides of disc 1 then the rest on another.

3 Likes

Think Thicker Than Water is great, every tim I listen I sort of have a different interpretation of what’s actually happening in the lyric

I reckon this is the best album he’s done in a couple

Think it’s perfectly formed

1 Like

Just had a listen on a walk. Really like it, but it’s not quite the same level as Peasant (which admittedly might be one of my favourite albums of all time), which had both beauty and grit.

It’s packed with beauty, and I love the lyrics, which are rich and evocative. There is a lot of lovely variation (I like the “Fix Up Look Sharp” beat in Tip of an Arrow for example) and the individual songs are wonderful, but as an 80-minute album it does sometimes struggle to keep my interest throughout.

It’s definitely a grower and a keeper though. I love the Hermit- it’s not full of climaxes and tempo shifts, but there is so much going on (the clashing chords, the a capella, the choir, the impressionistic lyrics) and it’s put together so well I never have a problem with it.

4 Likes

Gonna stick on the non-Hermit part of the album now

1 Like

this is on my Christmas list on the strength of ‘Thicker Than Water’ omigosh

1 Like

‘Museum’ is beautiful. Reminds me of some of my favourite bits from 2020.

2 Likes

Tiiiiiny coooobbbbbles out aaaaaat sea

5 Likes

Very happy he’s a fan of Space Raiders (can’t believe Adam doesn’t know what they are)

Interesting reading some split opinions on Ruby Cord, as this is my intro to him and I am absolutely blown away. Grabbed tickets for the London gig before the record had even finished.

Super excited to jump into the older stuff now. I’m up in Newcastle for the next couple of weeks so feels an appropriate time to immerse myself.

11 Likes

oh he’s playing Glasgow nice, might be good to finally see him after falling for a bunch of his tracks in Music League

The Hermit is among the best music committed to tape this year (decade perhaps). That last ~12 mins are beyond incredible.

4 Likes

Today I’m stoked as I’ve just bought a ticket to see him at the Barbican just before my birthday :slight_smile: Wonder if he’ll bring a band or if it’ll be him solo.

1 Like

I was wondering this, as might see him for first time this tour too. Does he do both pretty frequently?