Rick & Morty

Episode 7 was fine imo, dragged down by the incest baby stuff but some genuinely funny bits (the multistorey carpark).

'is that a turkey dinosaur…? `

I like this season mostly, but this gogotron one is a pretty big step down eh

All4 shrinks the screen over em and you have to remember to press away from the 30 secs till we automatically play something else thing

Episode 8 was fine, I liked some of what they were going for but it just got too clever and convoluted and I just lost interest (/got lost)

really not that fussed by Rick-centric episodes anymore

1 Like

Just give me a whole season of Jerry please.

1 Like

Quite liked it. Definitely a whole lot better than the 2 or 3 previous ones.

6 Likes

I liked the car chase bit where they had to make a path made out of treasured shared memories like Gromit in The Wrong Trousers

3 Likes

What’s happening with the last two (is it two?) episodes? It’s not airing on E4 next week, is it just skipping a week or something?

Finale is 1 hour 1st Sunday in September or last in August for some reason.

1 Like

It’s kind of weird how the Bird Person episode contrasts all the stuff I loved about the first couple; it seemed to stick so close to established facts about the “canon” of the show and there just wasn’t that much humour to it.

Can’t believe we all let this post just hang there with no response. C’mon, give us a hint.

I think the Bird Person episode is in with a shout for the strongest episode of the series so far, definitely no coincidence it was the last one before the season break and basically confirms that Harmon and co know which episodes are good and which ones are simply fine.

Hard not to feel at this point that the 70 episode order was bad for quality control and that they’re holding back better episodes for later seasons. I just find it hard to believe that a writing team that good could be as organically inconsistent as this season has been.

It’s also possible that 18 months of social isolation and spending almost every work day completely alone has resulted in my taking a cartoon far too seriously.

4 Likes

Dunno if it’s always been like this and I’m just getting R&M fatigue/in a less receptive state of mind or something, but I’ve found the dialogue this season to be pretty exhausting - just a constant non-stop barrage - occasionally just literally 100% Rick voices at full throttle. And it feels so written too - so much packed into every line of dialogue, coming at you at 250mph, it’s knackering.

5 Likes

I think it’s what I like about the show, but I also agree.

It’s always been very written though, things like “your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer” are The Thick Of It levels of preparedness and I have no issue with either.

5 Likes

Can someone update the thread title to Rick & Two Crows?

8 Likes

That was an amazing ending to a bit of a meh season. I love the way this show just dives into mind bending sci - fi at the drop of a hat and never loses you doing it.

3 Likes

oh shit i thought that series was over, glad to have a bit more, will interrupt my ‘watch all of battlestar galactica in three weeks’ run that i’m on track to complete

1 Like

wow

the central finite curve as a metafictional device for a scorched earth restart, huh?

2 Likes

That final episode was really, really good. Properly blown away by how utterly fucked up it ended up being. Will have to watch it again.

Also loved the little Mr Poopy Butthole ending. Like, after that, you mustn’t forget the important shit too.

5 Likes

Think this show has been consistently great for four seasons, like properly brilliant.

This season felt like the start was strong but really sagged in the middle. First time I started to lose interest in episodes. End two were really great again.

Good show.

3 Likes