Rick & Morty

yeah feels like a very fun and loose season to me

5 Likes

I sing that jingle every day, I don’t even want to

1 Like

Wubulubbadubdub :joy:

Is this the 1st time Mitchell & Webb worked together since Back? AND SUPER HANS! :scream:

use the voice cast better

This latest series is SO much better than S5 it’s (somehow) making S5 look even worse by comparison. My assumption is that writing over Zoom really destroys the chemistry of a writer’s room (and also that they’re perhaps keeping back a few really good scripts to ensure they can deliver the full 75-episode order).

Anyway, really enjoying the lack of lore/canon this series - the dullest, most annoying part of it all for me. Seems to exist just to allow nerds to feel like they’re watching something more than a good cartoon. Loved the Die Hard episode, reckon Analyse Piss is up there with the very best, and even though the Full Meta Jackricks episode is objectively nonsense, I laughed like a drain the whole way through (I was pretty high which definitely helped).

This week’s is a step down from the last, but good nonetheless - guest voice cast is ridiculous, and as @Roughyed implies criminally misused. The episode itself leans a little too far into self-conscious homage to arguably the best episode of the entire show, The Vat of Acid episode.

Was basically checked out on R&M and am now fully back onboard

3 Likes

Mike Mendel died during the making of Season 5 or maybe the back half of Season 4 think it’s been mentioned before in interviews that it impacted Season 5.

Tbf I found that bit really funny because of the reference. I hope they never do it again though.

1 Like

I’m not sure where we’re up to, but the last two I’ve seen (breaking the fourth wall then Pissmaster) were as good as it’s ever been I think.

1 Like

There’s one more after that (and then the finale). The last one isn’t as good as the previous two but put it in S5 and it’d be a stand-out episode. This season is going to have a lot of rewatch value I think (except the dinosaur one)

1 Like

Well. Fuck.

2 Likes

The best thing about this is going to be the entirely rational response of the fanbase.

7 Likes

Ffs. :person_facepalming:

Harmon and Roiland, in very different ways, really do seem to be a pair of complete pricks don’t they

5 Likes

Aren’t the issues with them both pretty similar (i.e. abuse (in some form) towards women, and both basically believing in their own hype that they are super geniuses)?

From my very limited knowledge, yes. Harmon has shown way more self-reflection and remorse, but I’ve heard (unsubstantiated) reports that the Megan Ganz stuff was just the tip of the iceberg.

For all the chat about the toxic fan base, it’s starting to feel like the toxicity was a feature and not a bug. And all the ham-fisted ‘let’s hire some women and POC and get some woke jokes in’ of the last few seasons really has a different ring to it in light of all this.

2 Likes

They’ve sacked Roiland

1 Like

I don’t quite see how it can continue. But at the same time what the fuck do I know.

3 Likes

Find a soundalike voice(s), doesn’t seem that hard, not like Roiland is sole writer on all episodes like Sam Levinson on Euphoria or something. It’s too much of a cash cow for them to stop it.

1 Like

Obviously this is all very “Source: Trust me, bro” but allegedly harmon and Roiland had a massive bust-up circa S3 and Roiland has only been providing voice work since then (not sure I entirely buy this, but know fuck all about the way showrunner contracts are structured and would explain the massive gaps between some seasons and the jokes about creator bickering).

I guess it comes down to wether it’s Muppet Rules (you get used to the wrong voices) or Blink-182 rules (turns out the whole was more than the sum of its parts).