Rick & Morty

I saw someone say that the extent of Roiland’s involvement in the more recent seasons was remotely sending his voicework in, that was it. Does seem to explain the ease with which they decided to get rid of him.

1 Like

I think we probably saw the same thread.

If these rumours are true, and they also knew about the abuse allegations, it’s really frustrating they didn’t get rid of him sooner. Granted, they may have tried and not been able to for all kinds of reasons, but it seems like this was a timebomb they knew would go off eventually.

3 Likes

He was originally charged in January 2020, so it’s fair to assume someone knew, even if it wasn’t wider knowledge.

Could explain why he was recording remotely, although I assume a lot of animated shows work that way.

2 Likes

I was reading that earlier. Nice of Riley Reid to bring a cactus to the writers room though…

2 Likes

She seems nice, so I’ve heard from people (not me) who’ve consumed the content I understand she creates

2 Likes

I thought ‘succulent’ might be some kind of sex act at first, I’m afraid

1 Like

Fair play, even putting all allegations aside he sounds like a right knob head.

1 Like

Whether it’s true or not, it’s a nice bit of well-timed PR that helps the R&M gravy train keep rolling.

“Yeah we always knew the co-creator of our show was shit, and believe us when we say it made us feel more uncomfortable about it all than you. And anyway, he never even did anything. Wouldn’t even say he created it, actually, he was just some wacky character Dan Harmon brought in to prove his wacky credentials to those wacky guys at Adult Swim”

2 Likes

Pretty pointless really, the gravy train was going to keep rolling regardless once they sacked him anyway (hell it would likely have rolled on even if they’d kept him on)

Don’t agree really, misogynists and teenage boys make up a big portion of their viewership but by no means all of it

4 Likes

True, but wouldn’t it still be the case that a considerable majority of viewers/fans would never hear anything about it. He isn’t famous enough for it to be headline news.

1 Like

Maybe but the vast majority of them are likely to fall into the

Category. Plus it’s not just viewers that matter to keep the money coming in

idk about vast majority, probably would have agreed until I saw articles talking about just how much money the show and related enterprises makes. I might live in an online bubble, but Rick and Morty is clearly very mainstream.

(I can get on board with calling misogyny mainstream, but you’d struggle to convince me being a teenage boy is)

1 Like

About half the population were teenage boys at some point, it’s the most normie thing there is.

3 Likes

I think ‘Rick’ as an image is almost on the level of being a minion or something. It’s pretty inescapable in that way

3 Likes

Last year I was out with my five-year-old daughter and a guy in a R&M t-shirt walked past us, she’s definitely never seen it but said “Dad, I think that man’s shirt is about a crazy scientist”. I was like yeah, that’s pretty much it.

5 Likes

I would say this person might be regretting the R&M tat now but possibly not. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’m not sure that “regret” is a major I fluence on that person’s thinking

7 Likes