Ricky Gervais (POSSIBLE TW, ADVISED SSP)

Can’t even begin to think how much this would upset my sister in law (or people like her). If he can live with that…

1 Like

Technically, the state still regards universities as private sector. They must comply with all the rules that control private bodies.

People know (or should know) what to expect from a Ricky Gervais gig. He’s always been offensive, in everything he’s done. You know he doesn’t really mean it, same as Louis CK, Anthony Jeselnik, etc don’t believe what they’re saying to be true, it’s just a joke.

As someone said, if you’re recently bereaved, probably don’t go to this show. You never know what he’s going to say. It’s not a personal attack, so it’s just some words someone’s saying. He probably said more offensive things about other people/situations, but because they didn’t directly affect these particular people went by without mention.

in answer to number 2

Doesn’t matter.

3 Likes

I’ve read that! But that’s not quite the question I was asking.

Has Chapelle ever been called out on his comedy - as in, to his face? If so, what was his response?

I mean - how does that make it better? If anything it’s cynical and makes it worse.

1 Like

Different jokes for different needs

(EDIT: For avoidance of doubt, I disagree with you)

2 Likes

Bottom line is, don’t go and see Ricky Gervais if you’re likely to take anything he says as anything other than a joke. It’s mostly offensive, and not that funny. Probably cost a fortune too.

I dunno

also, don’t know what Gervais joke was but imho good controversial comedy/drama challenges or subverts peoples assumptions about life and shows them the absurdity of their own beliefs or the structures that surround us

I can’t imagine there is much comedy mileage in subverting parents’ beliefs about the death of their children but (again, without knowing what he said) there is an assumption in society that kids grow up and outlive their parents and for people who’ve buried their children it can feel that there is a conversation or space missing in general society to take that into account. On the one hand, talking & even joking about dead babies could open up some space/challenge society’s taboo on the subject - on the other hand it’s probably more likely that the joke was on those who already feel vulnerable

here’s a good article to read about losing a child

2 Likes

You’re at a Ricky Gervais show where he’s known to have ‘STRIDENT OPINIONS’.

And from what I can tell (from the article at least), he just made the joke in general terms. If he’d pointed at them and said ‘I heard your baby died, here’s a joke about dead babies’ and made it personal, then fine, that’s different. But then you get into the territory of best not saying anything ever for fear that it might set upset someone somewhere who you’ve never met and whose personal circumstances you don’t know. Which would be ridiculous in daily life, but even more so when you pro-actively choose to buy tickets and go see an ‘edgy’ comedian.

Why would anyone go to the press about this?!

But that suggests you’re blaming the recently-bereaved parents for not having realised that Ricky Gervais might make a joke about a dead baby.

1 Like

That’s and incredible read, and I agree as I just watched the specials recently.

Doesn’t really answer 2 though - being criticised, yes - but I haven’t seen his reaction to be akin to Gervais’

Is he meant to send out a set list in advance with topics he’ll be covering?

I’m not biting on this.

3 Likes

I’m all for compromising “freedom of speech” when it comes to arseholes like him.

1 Like

also this isn’t quite as much about the joke itself, or the reaction to it (as lazy and shit as it is)

It’s about the reaction to someone being upset/offended and crying ‘free speech’ yet fundamentally understanding what that means, as nailed twice in this thread by @epimer

2 Likes

He’ll joke about anything, mainly to get headlines. His standup isn’t very funny, it’s mostly based on shock value. They have to have known the risk (or be aware enough of his work to take it on the chin).

I’m not blaming the parents, that sounds harsh, I just think it’s a bit much to make so much of it. I can understand them being upset, but complaining is too much.

I appear to be in the minority thinking this.