Ridiculous music bargains

Not a massive “bargain” but if anyone is interested in the new Daniel Johnston Artistic Vice/1990 reissue which seems to be 32.99 at least in most places, Picadilly Records have it on order for 24.99. :+1:

Drip feed from Amazon continues - Du Blonde just arrived. Only Arab Strap to go now…

1 Like

Off everything it seems. Might get me some Beach House and Penelope Isles.

2 Likes

Couple of Lankum albums on vinyl fairly cheap on amazon

(as Lynched) - Cold Old Fire - £12.67
Lankum - Live Long Day - £14.54

2 Likes

Small Monorail sale - most LPs at £9.99.

https://www.monorailmusic.com/releases.html?albumpage_method=genre&albumpage_genre_id=15ff94a9-c140-11eb-a119-0ae37afdfefc&mc_cid=a3a107357a&mc_eid=c77ea44ac8

1 Like

Love Monorail, but that sale could most accurately be described as ‘niche’.

2 Likes

The Heather Woods Broderick album in that sale was my AOTY for 2019 though.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with the niche

2 Likes

I’ve bought that album based on your recommendation. Hopefully you’ve not led me astray.

2 Likes

Do you generally like female singer-songwriters? She’s Peter Broderick’s sister and I like her music even more than his.

Her gig at Werkhaus last year was my last proper gig before lockdown and was tremendous.

1 Like

I know she’s connected with SVE and I love her. The song you posted is ace so I think I’ll be fine.

1 Like

Rather obscure Amazon cheapies -all last copies.

Three Mile Pilot – S/T EP - £2.75

Jason Urick – I Love You (Thrill Jockey – experimental) - £2.74

We are Loud Whispers – Suchness (Indie pop on the Hardly Art label) - £3.07

Modern Rituals – The Light that Leaks In (Holy Roar Records – “elements of sludge metal with anthemic and melodic choruses. If you’re into Nothing, Teenage Wrist or Deftones then get amongst this” – Banquet review) - £4.07

EDIT: Price has jumped massively - ignore this.

I’ve just bought this for £3.23 but showing as one copy left still? Anyway, Welsh Komische/Krautrock from former Cate Le Bon and H.Hawkline collaborator R.Seiliog.

Norman Review:
https://www.normanrecords.com/artist/28899-r-seiliog#review_142836

that’s annoying, I would have been all over that for three quid! His In Hz album is really good.

1 Like

Think I’m done with Banquet now. Third time they’ve shown something as in stock when it wasn’t. At least this time my refund was sorted quickly.

1 Like

I had three different orders where that happened. So frustrating. No updates unless I contacted them, and after three months I gave up and got a refund. There’s a podcast about record buying that discusses it (14 mins in - https://twitter.com/WeBuyRecordsPod/status/1400095782636822531). Be interesting to see if they respond or change anything.

2 Likes

Their Trustpilot makes pretty grim reading

Oof. I feel bad badmouthing an indie, but the thing about stuff showing as in stock and then turning out not to be is really annoying and misleading. And the responses (or lack of) implies that they know but don’t really care.

I’m sure they’re a great bricks and mortar store - they just need to do a stocktake!

2 Likes

The same thing has happened to me quite a lot recently with shops selling on Discogs. Badly organised businesses that put stuff up for sale in three or four places and don’t update when they sell a copy.

I have never had this issue with indies that I buy from all the time like Normans, Monorail and Resident.

3 Likes

Its a real shame as I really like Banquet as a record shop - been a relatively local intermittent mainstay of my record shopping since teenage years…but it does seem every other order online (which is a £1 or £2 cheaper than many/most indies) can take a month or so to get in stock and arrive - website not updated so much…worth visiting in person but online not so reliable agreed…Resident is my go to for online shopping because its a great store with superb customer service (see their freebie end of year publication), with Norman Records or Rough Trade for occasional bulk purchases…and Discogs from time to time…very occasionally amazon throws up some ridiculous bargains* and I bite the bullet but try to support the indies where possible

2 Likes