Ridiculous music rip-offs

I think at least 90% are already out there as well.

1 Like

Genuinely bemused by this sort of thing – is there really that much of a market of people who are willing to buy three or four copies of an identical album just because it’s on different coloured vinyl / cassette to make the whole thing worth it?

I think the most recent Kylie album had a similar thing with three cassettes and a couple of different vinly colours and my overriding question is just WHY.

1 Like

Yes.

It’s basically to cash in on having an obsessive/completionist fan base.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Not sure I’d ever need to have three copies of the same record, but then I also own a not inconsiderable number of cd singles simply because they were released with different cover art in different markets so I’m hardly one to point my finger at obsessive completists :crazy_face:

Aye not for me either but for mega fans or compulsive collectors it’s a thing and acts/labels will milk them.

When TS did the album with different covers my naive first thought was that it was a nice idea to give her fans a chance to own different versions to their friends so they could have a thing that is shared but still a little unique. But of course that’s me projecting and it’s obviously aimed at getting big fans to buy all the versions.

1 Like

Whut.

I think Foo Fighters did something similar a few years back where they had different US cities on the front and Arcade fire did the different languages on the cover of Everything Now for different countries.
If people want to buy the one they’re local to or even all of them they can work away.
The number of vinyl colour variants pees me off these days, Dead Oceans are probably the worst. I buy one LP and try to get a nice colour or indie variant to help stores but if I miss out I’m good buying the reg black vinyl. No way I’m paying ebay shitehawks.

1 Like

Idles did this with their last album they had those “accidental mis-prints”.

About a week before the release of that album I overheard two guys in my local record shop both saying they had ordered 3 versions. Baffling :man_shrugging:

Ha ha. Really?

My original copy of Elastica was the misprint version, confused me no end as a permanently stoned student!

Knew someone posted it

Not to defend the clear gouging we’re seeing here, just to defend those who buy it a bit I guess:

Hard to really judge now but in my uni days I used to buy the coloured 7" releases of the Blur, Supergrass and Radiohead singles even though I couldn’t play them and the b-sides were on the CDs anyway…and yes I obviously also bought both parts of the CD single. Obviously these weren’t really in the same league of cost but I did it to make sure they did well in the charts.

Maybe I was an obsessive fan. I certainly used to buy some Japanese import stuff for Radiohead to have two shitty b-sides that you couldn’t get otherwise, but at the same time I didn’t feel like I was wildly obsessed.

I think when you’re late teens and early 20s you can get really into a band/artist though. They have a lot more power to impress you and it’s just part of giving yourself an identity, so I can well believe people might shell out for all three colours of an album on record and then, possibly like me with those 7"s, they’d just put them up on their wall or something.

5 Likes

I definitely get the impulse – my shelves are also littered with cd2/cd3s and Japanese imports! Just surprised / impressed that you can get people to pay for three vinyls at £30 a pop which seems a whole level up from things like cd singles which were relatively cheap.

2 Likes

Yep was going to say the same.
2 CD singles and the 7 used to cost you 3/4 quid. These days alone the 7 can go for £12+.
And in the cases mention above the LP is £30 so dropping 90 quid to have three copies of the same LP? It’d be nice to be that monied :grinning:

Ok it’s 6 LPs so not a totally insane price but the idea anyone would pay £115 for a Charlatans ‘best of’ seems ambitious

Find the number of ‘test pressings’ that are around these days to be a bit off. When they first used to pop up they seemed to be the odd rarity/something a bit quirky but now the just seem to get released for pre-order with the rest of the variants and you seem to get a bunch. Seems a scam for completists to be honest.

Record Store Day releases generally. Especially the 7’s but all of them really. Re-packaging old shite to flip for loads of money. It should be a day for selling records cheap!

All the stuff mentioned above. The TS and BE examples being particularly gross.

Any repress of something like Rumours these days is a total rip off. Those types of reissue are a farce and completely taking advantage of new turntable/gift market buyers.

This Justice League 7LP soundtrack :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Mars Volta one also was nonsense.

The Appetite For Destruction super loaded box set thing was pretty great but sure it was a grand when it came out which again, is ludicrous.

1 Like

The standard black 2LP edition of the new Billie Eilish album appears to be 38 quid.

lolz.

Edit: only 37 direct from her website:

Bargain.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s very weird. The only thing it’s got the other versions don’t are the demos and remixes and come on, no one cares about remixes.

Tracklisting:

VINYL 1 & 2
A HEAD FULL OF IDEAS (BEST OF) (2LP)

A1) The Only One I Know
A2) Weirdo
A3) Can’t Get out of Bed
A4) Jesus Hairdo
A5) Just When You’re Thinking Things Over
A6) North Country Boy

B1) Tellin’ Stories
B2) One to Another
B3) How High
B4) Forever
B5) Impossible

C1) Love is the Key
C2) A Man Needs to be Told
C3) Up at The Lake
C4) Blackened Blue Eyes
C5) Oh Vanity

D1) My Foolish Pride
D2) Come Home Baby
D3) Let the Good Times be Never Ending
D4) Plastic Machinery
D5) Totally Eclipsing

VINYL 3
TRUST IS FOR BELIEVERS (LIVE)

A1) Polar Bear (Blackburn, King Georges Hall. November 1990 - BBC Radio 1)
A2) Indian Rope (Reading Festival 1992 - BBC Radio 1)
A3) Can’t Even Be Bothered (Reading Festival 1992 - BBC Radio 1)
A4) Can’t Get Out of Bed (Glasgow Tramway, Sound City 1994 - BBC Radio1)
A5) I Never Want an Easy Life (If Me and Him Were Ever to Get There) (Glasgow Tramway, Sound City 1994 - BBC Radio1)

B1) Then (Glastonbury Festival 1995 - BBC Radio 1)
B2) Here Comes a Soul Saver (Hultsfred Festival, Sweden 1997)
B3) My Beautiful Friend (Delamare Forest, Cheshire 2007)
B4) The Blind Stagger (Delamare Forest, Cheshire 2007)
B5) Sproston Green (Reading Festival 1999 - BBC Radio 1)

VINYL 4
PLEASED TO MEET YOU (DEMOS) ( EXCLUSIVE TO BOX SET )

A1) C’mon C’Mon (Demo Version)
A2) Sleepy Little Sunshine Boy (Desk Mix Version)
A3) Dardanella (Demo Version)
A4) So Oh (Demo Version)
A5) Always on my Mind (Demo Version)

B1) Everbody Ha Ha (Demo Version)
B2) Commuter Computer (Demo Version)
B3) Crystal Eyes (Demo Version)
B4) Polar Bear (Demo Version)
B5) I Need You To Know (Demo Version)

VINYL 5
ONE TO ANOTHER (REMIXES) ( EXCLUSIVE TO BOX SET )

A1) Plastic Machinery (Sleaford Mods Remix)
A2) Nine Acre Dust (Chemical Brothers Remix)
A3) So Oh (Brian Jonestown Massacre Remix)
A4) Tellin’ Stories (The Go! Team Remix) unreleased

B1) Trouble Understanding (Norman Cook Remix)
B2) My Beautiful Friend (Jagz Kooner Remix)
B3) Hey Sunrise (The Orb Remix) unreleased
B4) You’re So Pretty, We’re So Pretty (Lo Fidelity Allstars Remix)

VINYL 6
BONUS DEMOS 7” ( EXCLUSIVE TO BOX SET )

A1) Indian Rope (Demo)
AA1) The Only One I Know (Demo)

1 Like

https://twentyonepilots.warnerartists.net/uk/scaled-and-icy-limited-edition-box-set.html

Not a DiS band obviously, but my daughter is obsessed with them so I was checking out the store. NB in terms of actual music this contains only one standard edition CD album.

1 Like