Ridiculously trivial things that irk you about tv or film

When people get stabbed with something or shot with an arrow and their first instinct is to pull it out, which would most likely cause a worse injury IRL. See also: people pulling bullets out of gun shot wounds.

This is brilliant. I only watched the pilot. I must catch up on the rest.

The actor who plays Frasier’s dad is only 10 years older than Kelsey Grammer. Always found that mildly irksome.

1 Like

I feel like Netflix shows are starting to reference Netflix a lot more. I don’t know if it would irk me more if (a) this is some means of promoting the brand further or (b) they think this is a funny ‘meta’ thing to do that will LIGHTLY GRAZE THE INTERNET OMFG

1 Like

Ah, this reminds me. Tom Cruise always has the exact same cut on the bridge of his nose. In EVERY film he does an action scene.

I wonder though, if space travel were common place and we had tonnes of space craft zipping around, if they might come up with a way to orient themselves based on some static point of reference?

Probably not though.

Did Einstein die for nothing?

4 Likes

I do this on the phone and it infuriates everyone I know. I blame consumption of too much pop culture.

That “Tries Drugs For The First Time” psychedelic montage bullshit. Even Mr Nice (terrible, terrible film) which was about a literal fucking drug smuggler, depicted the first time he tries hash (HASH ffs) as this surreal, sitar-soundtracked, mind-expanding experience. The film even goes from black and white (up to that point) into colour. So fucking cheesy.

7 Likes

yeah tv and film made drugs seem like they were gonna be a lot more interesting than they are

2 Likes

character coughs a couple of times
one episode later
character has a terminal illness

6 Likes

getting shot in the stomach and immediately coughing up blood. doesn’t work like that.

also when characters so much as pick up a gun and it clicks and rattles for no reason.

Characters dropping guns which then continue to fire as they bounce along the ground (or in the case of True Lies, downstairs).

2 Likes

Slightly anxious about asking how you know this.

5 Likes

fear not! my girlfriend was a trauma nurse, now she’s on icu, so she’s great at ruining fun stuff in movies and tv. “you can’t knock someone out for that long without them suffering brain damage!” “that knife wouldn’t pierce the skull!” etc.

3 Likes

i saw a hollyoaks ad the other day and mandy was back!

Have always wanted to see a movie where the hero shoots at a second gun which is bouncing and firing and makes that gun go into a baddie and splodes the baddie.

when someone gets knocked out and wakes up some time later completely fine irks me a lot. what does your girlfriend think of shows set in hospitals? i imagine they’re mostly ridiculous to actual medical professionals. i know they often show defibrillators being used on patients with no heartbeat, which doesn’t work

regarding people coughing up blood after getting shot in the stomach, it does seem like filmmakers think that every death results in blood coming out of the person’s mouth

1 Like

on things like the one show: they’ve accosted a bunch of different members of the public in shopping centres or on the high street and film them singing a song, then cut it together into a montage, but they’re all singing in different keys and at different speeds :confounded:

2 Likes

The texts would remain on the phone though? Wouldn’t they?