RIP Andrew Weatherall

Very sad to hear this. I spent so much of my teenage years stoned and completely hypnotised listening to Screamadelica, and saw Two Lone Swordsmen a bunch of times in the late 90s/early 00s.

RIP mate x

12 Likes

Jesus, this is shocking news. So much great music, so many great times

3 Likes

Always loved this one, like a Kia-Ora advert gone voodoo

8 Likes

That’s bloody upset me, that has.

5 Likes

Absolute legend, cracking DJ and one of the best remixers around, always thinking outside of the box, loved the way he could turn a track inside out (take “remixing” Villalobos’s Dexter into a The Cure type rock instrumental, for instance). 56 is no age at all… RIP x

2 Likes

Absolutely gutted. 56 is no age. His NTS show was a great listen, solo mixes and stuff with Sean Johnston as A Love from Outta Space too. Fuck

This mix of his from last year is brilliant

4 Likes

Aw this is terrible news. He was a total inspiration, one of the best ever. Totally went on his own path when there were probably plenty more profitable ones available. Met him once and he was a total gent, couldn’t have been more accommodating to a teenage guy coming up to him in a bar to tell him his set at T in the Park had been the highlight of my weekend.

RIP

4 Likes

Shit, was planning on seeing A Love from Outta Space later this month, and Houghton Festival. So sad

1 Like

Can’t listen in work, but I think this is the right link to his 6 music show about the music that inspired Screamadelica, it’s a great couple of hours.

Some of the tracks near the end he talks about being played at his funeral. Fuck, this is shit news.

3 Likes

Screamadelica is still one of the formative albums I ever listened to, and it would never ever happened without him. He also always sounded like an absolutely lovely guy whenever I read about him…

4 Likes

That’s really sad.

It would be a shame if the obituaries went no further than his work on Screamadelica (great and tremendously influential though that was). He made loads of great music in his career with Sabres of Paradise, Two Lone Swordsmen, The Asphodells and in various other guises. He was a massively under-appreciated national treasure and seems to have been a really decent bloke too.

8 Likes

Had a lot of love for that One Dove album. RIP AW.

3 Likes

An absolute giant who was at the top of the game for over 30 years :+1:

I was pretty much just into my older brother’s indie/britpop albums before I listened to Primal Scream, which sent me onto Weatherall’s DJing and other work, which sent me off down a hundred different paths that I’m still going down. The man was probably the greatest single influence on my taste in music. A fucking hero.

Really gutted to hear this.

For a few years around 2006 - 2009 I partied hard and his DJ sets provided the soundtrack to a lot of brilliant times with great friends.

And his production work on Fuck Buttons Tarot Sport was absolutely killer.

RIP

4 Likes
7 Likes

This mix was so good, that kind of slow, chugging-along ALFOS style

3 Likes
1 Like