RIP Charlie Watts

I’m not a massive Stones fan, but I always looked at Charlie Watts and thought that’s how I’d want to age. And 80’s not a bad innings.

Post your Stones bangers here

2 Likes

Just heard, feel like it’s an achievement for any of the Stones to have made it to 80 though.

7 Likes

RIP.

Their last banger that I know of.

That run of albums from Beggars Banquet to Exile is utterly awesome.

RIP.

2 Likes

Oh man RIP

This is a good one

5 Likes
16 Likes

Also, this is pretty cool

5 Likes

Sean’s just posted this on twitter. It’s so good

4 Likes

Absolutely love this song. The band are so magnetic to watch

1 Like

Possibly also the only human being to be told off for taking too much heroin by Keith Richards.

1 Like

not a particularly out there drum take or anything but then Charlie was an understated metronome of a drummer rather than a flash player … this is my favourite Stones track

RIP Charlie

1 Like

Yeah the conclusion I’m getting from the steady increase in tributes is that “Honky Tonk Women” is the go-to “here he is doing some drumming” clip.

1 Like

Love the looseness of the drumming in the outro.

7 Likes

Rock and Roll Circus is so great. The Who set blew my mind when i first saw it.

1 Like

Possibly my favourite version of my favourite Stones track - obviously the footage is all Jagger and Richards but he is as much a part of the sound as either of them. Wonder if this is finally “it” for the band? Feels like it would be a shame if they treated him as a replaceable part after all these years.

Lowkey love the Stones tbh - entirely my father’s fault of course, but they bring me a pretty reasonable amount of joy. Saw them live with him a couple of years ago at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, still a very very good band. I went in expecting a mill through the hits and a bit of a sing along but everyone on the stage seemed to genuinely care. Extended jams aren’t for everyone, but when it was them doing it I could get completely behind it.

Anyway… rambling… the point is RIP Charlie Watts - one of the greats.

2 Likes

I think the Stones already had a tour planned with another drummer

Wow, I’d always heard it said by Stones nerds that once Charlie’s not up to playing any more that’d be it for the band.

RIP, guy was a big legend, and a source of many amusing stories about what a bad tempered grump he was. Remember him getting sent out to do a load of publicity interviews around the Glastonbury performance, probably because the Stones camp knew his antipathy toward the whole thing would be hilarious.

Steve Jordan, who has played on Keith Richard’s solo albums had already been announced to replace Charlie Watts on their upcoming US tour, due to start in mid-October, as Watts was recuperating from an unspecified medical procedure.

He went to my old high school. So did George Michael.

That place is running out of a decent alumni.

One of the greatest songs ever written.

4 Likes