RIP Daniel Johnston

Fuck…

I don’t know what to say, important person to so many peoples lives.

3 Likes

That’s really sad. I’ve never truly explored his music but The Devil and Daniel Johnston is one of the most touching films I’ve ever seen.

11 Likes

Oh no.

This is undoubtly one of the most beautiful songs ever written

31 Likes

Noo :((((((((((((((

Need to explore his stuff more but he had some magic that’s for sure

3 Likes

I feel like crying for a bit.

3 Likes

Sad news. I arrived at his music through others covering him, and went through a summer years ago trying to find everything I could. RIP.

Oh man, this has hit strangely hard for an artist I’ve hardly heard. I’ve never explored his work properly, yet utterly adore some of his songs via covers by the likes of Spiritualized, Pete Kember/Spectrum, The Twilight Sad and no doubt others too. His story was too heartbreaking yet uplifting for words, and now he’s gone. Time, far too belatedly, to give him a proper listen :frowning:

1 Like

Very sad indeed. My first album of his was Fear Yourself, which was quite different from all of his other albums as I think it was produced my Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse), and so was a lot less stripped back than his other stuff. not listened to it in ages, so will revisit it again.

There was a great cover album in 2004 with so many great bands covering his songs, and his own versions on the second side. The now belatedly apt title of The Late Great Daniel Johnston: Discovered Covered:

1 Like

Yeah I haven’t explored too far and some stuff really doesn’t gel with me, but this song is absolutely perfect and the personality and sincerity shines through

Damn sad news. Remember going to an advance screening of The Devil and Daniel Johnston at the Barbican circa 2006 which was then followed by a tribute gig headlined by the man itself. Was a great day but he looked quite petrified by the large audience and only played 4 or 5 songs. Did see him again a few times after that where he seemed more relaxed, a true original.

3 Likes

This is devastating news.
So many beautiful songs.
A unique talent and an inspiration to so many.

Ah, so sad. But weirdly not surprised he’s gone too soon. Legitimate genius. Changed my life, really. So glad to see him so many times at ATPs and an incredible London show with Sparklehorse, Jad Fair and Scout Niblett which seems mad looking back on it. Here’s one of my faves:

2 Likes

This short film is way less known than The Devil And… but is beautiful, perfect and quietly devastating all at once.

Only saw him in person once but he was tremendous.

2 Likes

Very sad news.
Saw him a few times over the years, most notably supported and accompanied by Mark Linkous, Norman Blake and Scout Niblett.
So many great tracks absolutely littered with masterful turn of phrase and infectious hooks.

1 Like

So much love for this track, rest well

1 Like

Could post any one of scores of tracks, but always loved Story of an Artist

4 Likes

Had a little tear to this news, was lucky enough to see him play a couple of times and there was something so fragile about him. A weird, wonderful talent. RIP.

4 Likes