RIP James Broad (Silver Sun)

I cannot state how hard 2020 can go and absolutely fuck itself.

2 Likes

Oh man, very sad to hear that. This is one of my absolute favourite tracks ever:

3 Likes

This is terrible news. Remember first hearing them on a free CD that came with Select magazine and loved them ever since:

This was the track. RIP James.

3 Likes

This really fucking sucks. I know he’d recently been talking about being ill on Twitter but I had no idea things were so bad. RIP James, you were one of the fucking greatest guitar pop songwriters and a fellow Rush fan.

2 Likes

This is awful. I had no idea he was ill. Loved the first two albums and still have a bi-annual Spotify nostalgia fest listening to them. He had such a gift for melody and those tight harmonies were always * chef’s kiss * . Rest in peace :frowning:

2 Likes

This is awful news. Still got a load of their singles on tape somewhere

3 Likes

Horrible news :disappointed:

A band that was just pure joy to listen to

4 Likes

So sad to hear this

When i was living in London in the 90s my best friend and flat mate got a lot of free gig tickets through his job and I benefited from that. First time I saw Silver Sun they were supporting Sparklehorse at the Astoria 2. We were blown away by how good they were. Over the next few months it seemed like they were the support band at every gig we went to. And the band evolved into just the tightest unit with perfect harmonies. It was amazing to see. And then the album came out and it was awesome. Happy memories. RIP James

3 Likes

oh, this is sad. Loved those records.

1 Like

This is exactly the first time I ever heard them too :frowning:

1 Like

Might actually have been my intro as well, or was it a CD from Q?

1 Like

So sad, Silver Sun were the band that made me unashamed about my love for Cheap Trick style power pop. Had the I’ll See You Around cassingle in my first car. Such a great songwriter.

2 Likes

Happy to see that so many people loved them. They got lazily lumped in with a lot of very average “Britpop” bands. They were 1000x better than that.

2 Likes

Oh man, that’s just awful. I had no idea he was so ill. Absolutely gutted by this.

Managed to see them on their last run of shows a few years back. Was woefully under attended but they were fantastic.

He was such a talented songwriter, a real master of the 3 minute power pop song and they had some absolute gold in the back catalogue.

RIP James

3 Likes

Another great one

2 Likes

Tune! They had amazing B-sides as well. In Nature, Angel Eyes etc.

2 Likes

They were mostly remembered for the first 2 albums but all of them were stuffed with pop bangers. There’s not many other writers for me that could consistently put a smile on your face with the sheer unabashed fun of the songs which is a great legacy to have. As mentioned the b-sides / are worth checking out and also recommend the demo album he did under The Bullets moniker.

This is one of my favourites from Disappear here.

2 Likes

Yep, and then on the next album you got this. He never stopped being a pop genius.

1 Like

:frowning: really sad. That first album still brings back a lot of teenage summer feelings.

2 Likes

These were nice words, I think. The last line has some good life advice that everyone should act upon.

4 Likes