RIP Jim Steinman

Weirdly I was singing Total Eclipse of the Heart to my daughter in the bath before I saw the news. What a collection of absolutely massive songs he wrote.

3 Likes

Will always love this.

7 Likes

Had no idea heā€™d written the lyrics for thisā€¦

1 Like

Me neither - slightly embarrassingly it was one of my favourite songs as a kid. Never knew it came from an ALW musical, but happy that I fell for Steinman before I even knew who he was.

1 Like

Itā€™s such a great song, I like it even more now.

A true original. Nothing was too silly, and thatā€™s the way it should be.

Thank you for the glorious Pomp.

7 Likes

Closest thing to a guilty pleasure (but not guilty, because respect the fucking craft):

Obvious props for contributing to Floodland too.

11 Likes

I read someone say this earlier about the Steinman/Meat Loaf peak period;
ā€œā€¦ he actually managed to live up to that all-time awesome cover art which should not even be possible.ā€

Fave;

4 Likes

Oh man, this is some shitty news to start the day. RIP Jim, and thank you for all those glorious musical moments.

1 Like

One for the ā€œMusical things you were slow to realiseā€ thread, I was today years old when I learnt that Jim Steinman co-wrote those Sisters of Mercy tracks!

3 Likes

The piano man. RIP

Has no idea he was involved with this

2 Likes

:frowning: This is really sad news, what an absolutely fantastic songwriter. Right, Bat Out Of Hell day it is then.

1 Like

I will try not to fall apart at this news (although I might do every now and then).

3 Likes

Wife is blasting Bat Out Of Hell in tribute and is talking about going to see the musicalā€¦again.

A great songwriter. Totally over the top.

RIP

4 Likes

Same! Love this track/album.

1 Like

I mentioned to the TV about seeing the musical again. So good. Got BOOH on as well.

1 Like

You really canā€™t beat a bit of Meatloaf can you. Fond childhood memories of my Uncle playing Bat out of Hell all the time. Cracking songwriter.

2 Likes

Completely without a shred of irony (because I think I used to do so ironically), I absolutely love All Coming Back To Me Now more than any Meat Loaf song, or pretty much most other songs.

The bit from ā€œbut you were history at the slamming of the doorā€ through to the chorus after that is one of the best crescendos in music, IMHO. Seven and a half minutes that absolutely fly by.

2 Likes

This is a good thread to read

5 Likes