RIP Prodigy of Mobb Deep

42 years old. one of the all time greats.

I open my eyes to the streets where I was raised as a man
And learned to use my hands for protection
in scuffles, throw all my blows in doubles
I’m coming from Queens motherfucker carrying guns in couples

4 Likes

:frowning: RIP

perfect track

1 Like

Hell On Earth still one of the most underrated albums ever.

4 Likes

The group’s publicist issued a statement confirming the news stating:
“It is with extreme sadness and disbelief that we confirm the death of our dear friend Albert Johnson, better known to millions of fans as Prodigy of legendary NY rap duo Mobb Deep. Prodigy was hospitalized a few days ago in Vegas after a Mobb Deep performance for complications caused by a sickle cell anemia crisis. As most of his fans know, Prodigy battled the disease since birth. The exact causes of death have yet to be determined. We would like to thank everyone for respecting the family’s privacy at this time.”

ah fucking hell, awful news. one of the best to ever do it

1 Like

Very sad. Was still making great music too, as well as actually making a Cooking In Prison cookbook. Guy is a legend.

The Infamous one of my top 10 albums of all time, of any genre. Totally immersive.

2 Likes

Oh fuck. That’s awful :disappointed:

The Infamous drops you directly into it’s worldview and doesn’t let you out. It’s sound (I’d add Hell On Earth too) is really singular. top notch drum sounds.

3 Likes

And yeah he had a really solid solo career, under the radar too.

Did you get The Infamous Sessions that came with The Infamous in 2014? Was really good and had that same feel, despite being cobbled together.

Not sure who masterminded the production, but him and Havoc were a little underrated on that front IMO.

Loved this track but never delved much deeper into his solo work.

1 Like

Havoc is a great producer. Think he owes a bit to Q Tip tho.

Yeah I’ve got the infamous sessions, kinda forgot about it tho!

Yeah, they kind of lost me by Murda Muzik to be honest. HNIC was pretty good. They just set the bar so high.

Infamous Archives too… An insane amount of bootlegs, unreleased stuff… That Pre Hell EP was incredible. “Rep The Q.B.C.” - man. What a track.

:cry:

he deleted the original TRENDS PRODIGY HAS SET SINCE 1992 post a long time ago so this is the best I can do

http://nahright.com/2008/02/27/how-dare-you-question-ps-trendsetting/

still great

2 Likes

livin’ this til the day that we die :sob:

RIP P. long suffered health problems, hope he passed peacefully. the infamous stands alongside illmatic as one of the great works of a generation, in my eyes :tumbler_glass:

probably the two most ‘new york’ albums i can think of.

2 Likes