RIP Slayer (1981-2018)

and I did used to go to metal gigs locally and the men were really creepy and loads of slurs being thrown around, saying shocking things for no reason. So it’s a mix of bad anecdotal experiences and bad image from a mainstream perspective. Not sure it’s on me for metal to maybe try to be less shitty

Go enjoy a 20 min rambling colon chat, will be all better soon x

1 Like

fair enough then

great cross section of metal you’ve covered there, mate

1 Like

I shouldn’t jump on people really, sorry there’s definitely some prejudice from me, metal rubs me the wrong way for sure.

Trying to understand if there are some counterpoints to my stereotype of metal though, I assume to an extent it’s meant to be aggressive and niche by it’s nature so maybe it will never be for me.

Want a t shirt with this on

14 Likes

of course but there’s so much stuff more in crust/punk/metal crossover that is so much more left-wing/anarchist. just a really boring narrative that metal or ‘extreme’ music is inherently right wing

4 Likes

you could probably argue it either way but it seems to me like the burden is on metal to prove positive examples of not being like it’s roots though.

In what way exactly?

1 Like

Feel the same about this which was imo the highlight of this album

it’s a tricky one if the biggest mainstream bands seem to have a nasty edge, if I was into “not bad metal” I’d probably just try to have a different name for the genre of stuff I liked and not take influences and aesthetics from all that baggage. I’m not being sarcastic or cute here but I think band names that invoke torture and death and all the rest will come across as at best childish and at worst kinda perverse or edgy.

no idea what you’re talking about tbh, but how about vegan animal rights lads like Carcass?

3 Likes

sadly never heard of them, they sound like nice people. Are they well known? I would probably ask them if they feel maybe their message would reach further if they didn’t associate with the term and aesthetics of metal? They might well have a good answer for that

9 Likes

Or this

RIP - don’t listen to much metal anymore, but they helped me through my teenage years

2 Likes

Can’t remember many records that have given me the same cerebral thrill on first listen as Reign in Blood. An absolutely perfect record. Think they’re one of those bands that have been as good as broken up to me for the last 10 years or so given that I probably wouldn’t see them live again and their new records are pale imitations of their best work but it’s still sad to know that they’re gone for good.

3 Likes

fair enough then, it’s a shame it’s hard to see past the exterior that’s initially presented from the outside.

This is all quite funny.

2 Likes

Anyway, @Bamnan these are some really bad generalizations you’ve touched on. There’s literally thousands of metal bands and some are filled with assholes and/or asshole-filled content and some aren’t, just like every other genre in music. Maybe the asshole-to-non-asshole hit rate is a little higher, comparatively, but if you engage with it beyond the handful of bands you listed you’ll find plenty to champion and/or enjoy. You could, and should, start with Gojira (as mentioned). Probably the nicest people you’d ever meet and they sing about all kinds of progressive topics, PLUS they are very popular (opened for Metallica on their latest tour).

Now if you just dont like the sounds of metal and it doesn’t play to your sensibilities as a music listener, then fine, nothing anyone can do about that. but dont make the mistake of conflating those sensibilities with broad accusations that an entire genre is nothing but violent murderers and right-winged nut jobs (I’m drawing a line here to a place that you didn’t exactly state, but did imply).

9 Likes

Yeah ok cool I will try these people thanks!

I did say mainstream metal etc and still feel that most of the metal bands I have heard of (and I’m somebody who at least has some level of interest in music) have these issues, so it’s not exactly shocking that somebody would be put off at the entry point.