RIP the fax machine

Sent any good faxes over the years?
Will you miss them?
Are you a former football manager?

Probably one of those things that absolutely no one will miss, or get nostalgic about in 10 years time, really.

Fax machines remind me of premier manager 98

Fax for the memories!!!

4 Likes

Fax off!!!

2 Likes

1 Like

season 7 fax GIF

1 Like

Always forget fax machines exist until I watch a documentary that mentions them and realise how a huge amount of business communication in the 80s/90s was done on them and my mind is blown all over.

They dropped off so hugely and quickly and left pretty much no cultural impact

3 Likes

We had a fax machine at home. My dad travelled a lot and used to fax me funny drawings from hotels he was staying at. That was always fun.

We used to get spam faxes too which was kinda funny.

8 Likes

Ive seen one fax mqchine in my life and that was my grandads

I faxed a copy of Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol’s passport for him which was really useful ar confirming that it was Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol

4 Likes

Still in use quite a bit in Japan, I’m told.

2 Likes

I’m confident I’ve sent more faxes in my time than the vast, vast majority of my colleagues here on our community

3 Likes

Facsimile :smile:

I thought they were still really important in medicine?

1 Like

I used to have to send orders by fax when I worked at a fancy department store. Really silly, could have just used email or literally any other method.

Oh for fax sake

1 Like

Despite being terrible, they’ve been in common use until recently in the public sector. Previously had to fax referrals to nhs teams for work as supposedly this was their preferred secure method, despite that they could be picked up by literally anyone.

1 Like

How many faxes do you estimate you’ve sent, to the nearest 10?

One of the clients at my old work used to communicate largely through fax (Toyota - not sure if it’s cause they’re a Japanese company; iirc faxes are still very popular in Japan) when they’d send through orders and things like that. I used to like the noise they made, and I kind of liked being in bed sometimes imagining the fax coming through to the empty office in the middle of the night (as they’d often be waiting in the little tray when I got in in the morning). I’m silly.

Anyway though, my favourite aspect of the fax machine was the SPAM. Spam emails are shit, spam phone calls are annoying and awkward, but a spam FAX? Oh boy, the fact that there’s a sort of a “mechanical” process taking place makes it so fun - the anticipation of what meaningless shite you’re going to see on that A4 sheet of paper is like what I imagine exploited gamers get out of loot box mechanics.

5 Likes