RIP Tim Smith (Cardiacs)

Have we all heard this yet :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Had totally forgotten that the albums have all gone up on Spotify so thatā€™s some work for me. The only one Iā€™ve ever really listened to is Little Man, and even that not much.

Have a listen to Sing To God. Utterly barmy, but also my favourite record of all time.

I didnā€™t know they had tbh! Just knew they were on bandcamp

1 Like

I saw Mike from Oceansize mention it but maybe someone should shout about it in the new releases threads - as they seem to have slid under the radar somewhat. Great to have them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been listening to a lot of Cardiacs in recent weeks. Tim Smith was able to do boffin songwriting stuff while still being very rocking and poppy at the same time. Itā€™s a real shame they didnā€™t get a fair shake from the music press in their day when you consider some of the dreck from the 80s that would have been getting praise at the same time (and even retrospectively)

3 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing like the feeling with a band when youā€™re still coming to grips with the material you have heard, and you know they have multiple other albums you havenā€™t even heard yet to dive into

2 Likes

Youā€™ve been got. Come in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Damn I have Sing To God on atm. This man could really write a banger

3 Likes

Just one of the greatest albums ever made.

2 Likes

Not heard this before. Great, obvs

3 Likes
3 Likes

Tim Quy has passed away. RIP.

2 Likes

:cry: He was a huge part of the jangling, carnivalesque madness.

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s sad. I know heā€™s been unwell for a while. RIP Tim x

1 Like

Iā€™m reading Medical Grade Music at the moment - by Steve (interesting) Davis and Kavus Torabi. Itā€™s got quite a bit of interesting Cardiacs stuff in it.

3 Likes

Poor Tim. He befriended me on Facebook a while back. I donā€™t know him and had never met him so at first I assumed it was a fake account. But no, it turns out he just befriended people whom he had spotted saying nice things about Cardiacs.

From being his friend on there it transpired that 1) he was very funny and 2) he has been through a LOT of health troubles. So this didnā€™t come as a huge surprise but Iā€™m still very sad to hear the news.

3 Likes

the back catalog is back on Spotifyā€¦

9 Likes