RIP Ursula Le Guin

RIP. the lathe of heaven was huge for me as a young reader.

Because I am an idiot I have still only read The Left Hand of Darkness, but I love that book (the detail and weight of the polar scenes :heart:)
R.I.P

RIP. gutted.

just finished re reading other winds the other day.

what a genuinely lovely & conscientious person.

Oh man :frowning:

The dispossessed is easily my favourite piece of fiction. Thanks Ursula for making feelings I had about economics, equality and gender make sense.

she seemed very at peace with death in her work, which is a nice thought.

I think it says something that no two people in this thread have mentioned the same book yet.

RIP, I really appreciated her way of including racial diversity in her books, and the very decent way in which she did it :heart:

i tried reading earthsea but figured i’d probably left it a bit late in life to get into it. any fans? should i persevere?

RIP
Only read A Wizard of Earthsea but I loved it. The sheer quality shone through. Really have to post this picture of the cover. I think it’s a beauty.

idk. i’m defo a fan. it’s very, very strong high fantasy. if that description doesn;t turn you off straight away then probably go for it.

it’s pitched at teenagers & has got that YA thing of being very moralistic & coming of agey, but she has more sophisticated things to say about morality and society than anyone else i’ve ever read doing fantasy. it’s very tightly plotted (& short in the scheme of fantasy series); she’s excellent at the world building stuff & her prose is great.

:man_shrugging:

I think I read a couple chapters and it did seem a bit YA/harry potter but the description of the world was amazing

yeah there’s a bit of that, less so as the series goes on. think it;s inevitable when you have a young protagonist in this sort of stuff, the characters age quickly tho.

it’s better than any explicitly Adult Fantasy stuff i’ve ever read in every way i can think of. which i’m sure you’ll agree is a VERY high bar.

I would definitely go for her sci-fi stuff over her fantasy. The Dispossessed (my fav) or the Left Hand of Darkness being the obvious choices. Earthsea is a bit YA plus has additional issues with feeling more dated (i.e. it is omniscient 3rd person (i think, something weird anyway)).

Is the first famous person’s death I can think of who properly bumbed me out, and I am 31. Great author, who also seemed to be a genuinely awesome person.

Please David Attenborough never die.

aw man :frowning:
just got into her these last couple of years really, Lathe of Heaven & Left Hand of Darkness are both wonderful and she seemed like an all round great person. got the first Earthsea book for 50p the other day

A bit harsh given that Rowling was 3 when Wizard of Earthsea was published.

Might read the Quartet again. Even the incredibly bleak fourth one.

ahh very sad. Memories of her novels and Asimov on my dads shelf when i was a lad. Enjoyed Earthsea Quartet, and more recently read The Lathe of Heaven which was great.

Sad news indeed. RiP

There’s a fifth one now. Well, fifteen years ago!

Very sad news though.

been reading a bunch of interviews with and articles by her.

this made me happy & i think it’s a feeling i’ve had since i was really little & why i love her stuff.