Risen From The Dead - The Rolling Horror Thread 2019

That’s actually the fourth Purge film.

I’ve seen all four, plus the TV series :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Watched last night, Lucky McKee’s The Woman

Checked this out at the recommendation of @petagno (thank you, sir!). This details what happens when the patriarch of a small-town American family finds and brings home a feral woman, supposedly with the purpose of civilizing her. I’m a huge fan of McKee’s May so I was always going to approach this with an open mind. This was definitely a good place to start from, because I have to say, my first impressions weren’t great. I don’t know how the film was shot, but it seemed to have a really flat image that lent things something of an amateurish tone. Combine that with some performances that also seemed a bit ‘first job out of acting school’, an overuse of superimposed images (like McKee had just found this feature on his editing software and was determined to make the most of it), and a perplexing direction for the soundtrack and I was beginning to feel like I might be wasting my time. But then, a couple of scenes came along that pretty much single-handedly changed the way that I was watching the film and I became far more intrigued. Suddenly a lot of what I’d taken for weaknesses seemed like deliberate choices. I won’t go into the specifics of the scenes because of spoilers, but once I’d adjusted my expectations of what this film was trying to do, I became way more open to it. And damn, this film just builds and builds and builds until we get to a genuinely devastating climax. (The whole thing would play well on a double bill with Douglas Buck’s Cutting Moments for a glimpse of the darkness at the heart of American domesticity.) There’s so much to praise about this film but the things that immediately spring to mind are: the fact that even though there’s a lot of violence happening onscreen here, arguably the film’s most horrific moments are not seen; the realization of quite how evil the father/husband is and the horror that he’s inflicted on his family; the fact that despite the nature of the subject matter here, none of the violence feels gratuitous and the ending when it comes is massively cathartic. This isn’t about to replace May as my favourite Lucky McKee film, but if you like confrontational cinema, this is definitely worth checking out. Still not sure about that soundtrack, though…

1 Like

Love that book. Does a great job of getting the grimness of a decaying seaside town/village across. Anyone know if his next book was any cop?

1 Like

Oh this is on my list

Remember hearing loads about it but I dont really know anything at all so itd be interesting to go in cold

1 Like

It’s sitting on my book shelf at home; it looks great! Haven’t read it yet, mind. Probably get to it some time in the next decade…

I agree with this a lot. The Woman’s final stretch is superb, but there’s definitely some wonkiness to get there.

May is a real gem though, gunna watch it again in the build up to :jack_o_lantern:

1 Like

tv series any good? wouldn’t mind giving it a try!

okay mother! is the kind of thing i need to process. i think i enjoyed it…certainly big on themes there…i read jennifer Lawrence’s explanation of what the film is about and i have to say i only got 50% of that coming through onscreen. normally don’t care for art about making art so i had to check that prejudice at the door and really drink in the atmosphere and j law’s performance…acquits herself well, have never been overly enamoured but she rises to meet the material here…very intrigued by it all.

1 Like

sounds very tepid but i really did enjoy it…i think…

It’s…ok. Some of our works well, in that at ten episodes long it’s pretty much real time, plus the characters get some proper development. On the flip side, it’s much too long for the format - much of what makes the films enjoyable is that they are quick trashy fun…

1 Like

This was definitely one of those films that I found myself thinking about for days afterward, and wanting to read/watch as much as I could to find out wtf Aronofsky was trying to do with it. I was recently trying to explain why I liked this film to a friend (who hadn’t seen it), and it seemed to ultimately come down to the fact that everyone involved just goes for it here and made the film that they wanted to make, and I tend to find films like that fascinating no matter how messy or flawed they might be…

2 Likes

there’s something about the heightened melodrama of it all that i do like. michelle pfeiffer seems to really get that and just dives into it

1 Like

Wow! This was fantastic, thanks for the recommendation. I was a bit sceptical after reading that it has critical acclaim, but now we’re surprised it hasn’t gotten more attention, I assume it had a small release in Australia and that was that? Hope more people seek it out, it’s a hidden gem.

1 Like

Rabid - A remake of the Cronenburg film by The Soska Sisters. It’s real schlocky fun. So much gore. Wish it had a higher budget because there are stretches that look a little iffy.

Their other film American Mary, about a trainee surgeon that does illegal body mods, is really good, would definitely recommend.

2 Likes

+1 :+1:

5 Likes

Just bought this for the living room to make it feel more cosy and homely :heartpulse:

8 Likes

The Tunnel is another good Aussie found footage one

Just watched this. First half hour was a bit slow and the writing a little iffy, but once they’re in the tunnel onwards it’s very entertaining.

1 Like

Yeah I think found footage when done right is a blast. Shame there’s a lot of naff ones

2 Likes

Mama - Really like the set up and some of the plotting, but it’s fine/a bit shit. Constant cheap and loud jump scares make it very obnoxious. Generally it’s overblown in some of the worst ways that Hollywood horror can be. Things like a torch beam moving across the screen with a massive whooosh sound. Very silly and kind of knacks the atmosphere.

Hell House LLC - The third found footage film in a row I’ve seen that’s in a documentary format. I suppose that’s the norm now? It works though! This one’s gimmick is that it’s about some pillocks setting up a fairground haunted house in an abandoned hotel. Really drew me in and enjoyed it a lot. Very low/budget, but has enough charm to overlook that. We’ve seen a ton of horror films but between us we were fairly ooked.