Risen From The Dead - The Rolling Horror Thread 2019

sounds very tepid but i really did enjoy it…i think…

It’s…ok. Some of our works well, in that at ten episodes long it’s pretty much real time, plus the characters get some proper development. On the flip side, it’s much too long for the format - much of what makes the films enjoyable is that they are quick trashy fun…

1 Like

This was definitely one of those films that I found myself thinking about for days afterward, and wanting to read/watch as much as I could to find out wtf Aronofsky was trying to do with it. I was recently trying to explain why I liked this film to a friend (who hadn’t seen it), and it seemed to ultimately come down to the fact that everyone involved just goes for it here and made the film that they wanted to make, and I tend to find films like that fascinating no matter how messy or flawed they might be…

2 Likes

there’s something about the heightened melodrama of it all that i do like. michelle pfeiffer seems to really get that and just dives into it

1 Like

Wow! This was fantastic, thanks for the recommendation. I was a bit sceptical after reading that it has critical acclaim, but now we’re surprised it hasn’t gotten more attention, I assume it had a small release in Australia and that was that? Hope more people seek it out, it’s a hidden gem.

1 Like

Rabid - A remake of the Cronenburg film by The Soska Sisters. It’s real schlocky fun. So much gore. Wish it had a higher budget because there are stretches that look a little iffy.

Their other film American Mary, about a trainee surgeon that does illegal body mods, is really good, would definitely recommend.

2 Likes

+1 :+1:

6 Likes

Just bought this for the living room to make it feel more cosy and homely :heartpulse:

10 Likes

The Tunnel is another good Aussie found footage one

Just watched this. First half hour was a bit slow and the writing a little iffy, but once they’re in the tunnel onwards it’s very entertaining.

1 Like

Yeah I think found footage when done right is a blast. Shame there’s a lot of naff ones

2 Likes

Mama - Really like the set up and some of the plotting, but it’s fine/a bit shit. Constant cheap and loud jump scares make it very obnoxious. Generally it’s overblown in some of the worst ways that Hollywood horror can be. Things like a torch beam moving across the screen with a massive whooosh sound. Very silly and kind of knacks the atmosphere.

Hell House LLC - The third found footage film in a row I’ve seen that’s in a documentary format. I suppose that’s the norm now? It works though! This one’s gimmick is that it’s about some pillocks setting up a fairground haunted house in an abandoned hotel. Really drew me in and enjoyed it a lot. Very low/budget, but has enough charm to overlook that. We’ve seen a ton of horror films but between us we were fairly ooked.

1 Like

Getting ready to watch The Monster Squad with my son in about 30 minutes. This’ll be the first time he’s seen it; guessing he’ll really like it…

Genuinely forgot i have seen Mama. No idea what its about

1 Like

Watched last week: The Snorkel

This is a cool little thriller that Hammer put out in 1958, the same year that they also released their first Dracula film with Christopher Lee. Although I enjoyed this, I found it hard not to wonder how much better this could have been if directed by Hitchcock or Clouzot, but this still works really well. The basic set-up here finds a young girl convinced that her stepfather is responsible for the murders of both her father and mother, and struggling to find anyone who will take her accusations seriously. The way that the killer goes about his work here has got to be among the screen’s most implausible ways of killing people, but certainly makes for some entertaining scenes. The crisp black and white photography and lush Italian settings really help sell this, and it moves along at a pretty fast pace. I did find myself questioning the choice to share the murderer’s identity with the viewer from the beginning of the film – it takes what could have been a really suspenseful whodunit and turns it into a slightly less suspenseful willhegetawaywithit. This is definitely not a horror film in any strict sense of the term, but if you’re looking for something a little different this October, this is well worth checking out…

In other news, took in a screening of House of Wax in 3D last week – such a good time; watched The Monster Squad at home with my son yesterday – this is fun and he enjoyed it, but a lot of the attitudes in it are best left in the 80s; planning to watch Mariano Baino’s Dark Waters at home tonight and off to see an anniversary screening of The Blair Witch Project tomorrow. Halloween!

Watched and very much enjoyed the film Lake Mungo last night. Wasn’t sure how effective the format was going to be for spooky, but I think it’s pulled off really well

2 Likes

Last night’s film: Mariano Baino’s Dark Waters

… First saw this way back when at Eurofest 94 in London. At that time, Mariano Baino was being touted as the next big thing in Italian horror when Italy still had something like a horror film industry. Well, cut to 2019 and this appears to be the only feature-length movie he’s made, which is a real shame, because this is all pretty special and deserving of a wider fan-base than I’m guessing it currently has. In all honesty, I remembered next to nothing of my first viewing of this prior to sitting down with it last night and after watching it again (25 years later – fuck, I’m old!), I can see why. This is one of those films that relies heavily on atmosphere with little regard to narrative coherence. Let me put it this way – I knew going in that this film has a reputation for not being the easiest film to follow, so was working really hard to try and construct a narrative that made sense. Did it work? Did it fuck, but I don’t care because getting there was so much fun. The story here sees our protagonist, Elizabeth, travelling to a remote island nunnery to work out why her recently deceased father had been making financial contributions to the place for a long time. Cue nun/arts-ploitation nirvana, with some wonderful scenery (how many candles did this film consume?), lovely cameos by some committed (as in, they need to be committed) performers, a smattering of gore and violence that really adds to the menace of the proceedings and a general sense of Lovecraftian wrongness that just keeps building. This definitely won’t be to everyone’s tastes, but I have to say I loved this and can definitely imagine a rewatch soon if only to see if a 3rd viewing helps things make more sense. Hopefully, it won’t take another 25 years…

1 Like

This sounds crackin, never heard of it before. Will seek it out!

1 Like

Nice one, let us know what you think…

Let us know what you think of it. :grinning:

1 Like