Risen From The Dead - The Rolling Horror Thread 2019

did you see this article? http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2019/02/blade-303

Unfortunately it probably is, the director’s cut has become so ubiquitous that screenings don’t even bother specifying that it’s the DC.

Just checked the running time. BFI is saying 137 minutes, but the DC - according to the BBFC listings - is 154 minutes.

1 Like

I think the theatrical cut can only be found on the Dark Web

ah, fair enough! It’s much better paced.

1 Like

What was the verdict on this?

1 Like

Last night’s film was

The Final Wish

Comfortably the worst film I’ve seen in recent years but not quite Unintentionally Hilarious bad, though it had its moments. The editing was a mess, the soundtrack is so heavy handed and clichéd (discordant pizzicato strings whenever anything odd is happening), the jump scares didn’t work (at one point someone grabs someone’s shoulder with the strings going DUN! except the strings are a little bit late and the person grabbing the shoulder is actually in shot a moment or two too early). Bad acting, bad script, no scares. Only 90 minutes but you really feel them.

Avoid/10

the opening bit with the vampire rave is one of my favourite sequences in all film tbh

3 Likes

was just thinking i respond to it so viscerally because i have gone to raves full of hostile attractives and felt that same sense of impending doom. only there were no badass vampires, just people who didn’t want to be my friend.

2 Likes

brilliant article this, cheers.

I have the music on a 90 second loop that I got off the Internet years ago.

that article is super interesting.

got me thinking about the sound of horror movies in general, the best have terrific sound design and music don’t they.

Has anyone seen The Hole in the Ground? Is it good? I half expect everything A24 to be good

getting very good reviews from my sources
https://twitter.com/Simon_Barrett/status/1094847987702886406

1 Like

Yeah, I went on Friday, enjoyed it. Some good creepy sequences, nips along at a good pace, a solid central performance, the kid isn’t too irritating.

The credits said it was a Finnish co-production and it looked like it was all shot there. With the Irish cast it gives it a slightly otherworldly atmosphere as well.

1 Like

Await Further Instructions has been added to [UK] Netflix this morning - not seen it myself but I remember people in last year’s thread talking positively about it.

https://twitter.com/NewOnNetflixUK/status/1103566507169189888

1 Like

I watched it recently. Thoughts from up ^there…

Were you expecting it to be any good? It’s got Lin Shaye in it, I see - she’s often worth watching. I liked her a lot in Dead End…

Watched last night, The Midnight Meat Train…

This is a very enjoyable, trashy exploitation pic featuring a pre-megastardom Bradley Cooper and a surprisingly decent Vinnie Jones. The plot is failry thin (based on a Clive Barker short story), but the direction by yer No One Lives/Versus man keeps things zipping along nicely. The aesthetic is particularly pleasing - both grimy and dreamy at the same time. I assume that this was presented in 3D at some point as there are numerous scenes of blood/guts/other body parts flying directly into the camera. Brooke Shields cameos in this and is entertaining in her brief screen time. Ted Raimi is also here in a blink and you’ll miss it (pun intended for anyone who’s seen his part) role. Good fun. 7/10

190306%20MMT

3 Likes

Watched on Tuesday: A Quiet Place. Went to see this when it came out last year and although I think I enjoyed it at the time, it very quickly became overshadowed in my mind by the sheer magnificence of Hereditary, to the point that I think I just kind of dismissed this as another safe, vanilla Hollywood horror. However, I decided to give it another chance earlier this week and I’m really glad I did, because for what it is, it’s incredibly well done. Why I thought it was safe is beyond me – any film that begins with a child dying and the subsequent death of the male main protagonist can’t be that safe… Emily Blunt is wonderful throughout and that moment where she and Krasinski dance to Harvest Moon is simply magical. In many respects this functions as a polar opposite to Hereditary. In that film, the family unit is utterly destroyed from within; here it’s all about doing whatever’s necessary to ensure its survival. All in all, well worth checking out. Better than I remembered/10.

5 Likes