Ritual sacrifice: headphones edition

My headphones broke last week - they’re bluetooth ones, but now they don’t power on. So I go on to the manufacturer, and they started a warranty claim. Fine, I’ll send them back, they’ll fix them, I thought.

But no! They’ll send me a brand new pair if and only if I ritually sacrifice my old ones and make some kind of bizarre headphone snuff:

To minimize your inconvenience, we’d like to offer you a modified warranty process for this claim only. Please do the following 3 steps in order to successfully complete a warranty claim:

1. Extend one of the ear pieces, snap the extending arm
  2. Use a pair of scissors to cut the cables that connect to the ear pieces
  3. Please reply with a photo that shows the headphones are totally destroyed and there is no possibility of repair or future use. Please have the destroyed headphones displayed a piece of paper that also has your name, today’s date and [manufacturer name] on it.

‘Make sure we can see the suffering on its face’

Apparently this is a thing!

Never done this before - seems wasteful, as the headphones still work when plugged in, reckon they just need a new battery/tune-up.

Anyone else had to destroy their own gear in order to get a replacement, and can we see the sickening pics if so? For research you understand

11 Likes

I used to work in a bookshop in the 90s that sold “seconds” - in reality they were just books that had been returned unsold from other shops, but we had to have stickers on all the books to say they were a bit damaged

We never had any penguin books - as if a bookshop wanted to return a book to penguin they were only required to send back the cover. The rest of the book was thrown away

2 Likes

Seems like an inherently flawed system. What is there to stop you taking loads of different pictures of one set of broken headphones then sending a different one every now and then to get free headphones to sell for £££?

2 Likes

That’s all? I’m going to be a millionaire!

3 Likes

Do you remember when Silky got himself banned for something headphone-related? (From memory, he was trying to buy a load of Cambridge Audio earphones on the cheap and selling them on at a profit, then someone challenged him on it and he doubled down).

Not sure what it is about headphones that turns DiSers into despots.

3 Likes

I bought a 2nd hand CD recently - that should have come with 2cds in one case

I only got 1 CD, so I contacted the seller (it was a through amazon thing, but not actually amazon selling)

they made me take a picture of the CD before they would send me a new one - I humored them, but felt pretty daft taking a photo of something that wasn’t there

3 Likes

Amazingly I don’t remember that, what a way to go though.

Presumably this just means they’ll throw away the old pair rather than trying to fix them :expressionless:

do companies ever try to fix an electronic thing that cost <£100?

not cost effective

1 Like

Worse - the blood is on my hands, so I have to bin the old pair myself

Can’t even find a pic off the net to try and fool them and keep the old ones - it’s the ‘put them in front of today’s paper’ that does me, they really want them dead

1 Like

Imagine your name was Warren Tea

3 Likes

Just hit the Eastside of the LBC
On a mission trying to find Mr Warren T
Cause my Bluetooth’s gone ain’t no need for that
Now I’m used them wired like some kind of twat

3 Likes

So many broken headphones :frowning:

RIP Bose qc35 that I wore in the bath too often

RIP £350 shure in ear headphones I wore in a rainstorm

RIP second pair of £350 shure headphones where the cable broke

2 Likes

I’ve had to do this twice with Herschel backpacks. I’ve always been quite impressed and grateful that they’ve been so willing to replace a £60+ product free of charge without any questions. Felt awful cutting them into pieces, but I guess they’re protecting their brand.

1 Like

Those Cambridge Audio earphones we all bought broke so easily :frowning: They broke within a month, got sent a new pair and they broke almost straight away again. Felt bad because they were for charity so left it there. I think they must have known they were duds hence the promotion.

1 Like

Not what he was actually banned for tbf, but it was pretty slimy the way that whenever anyone was told to just speak to Cambridge Audio and they’d get a free replacement he tried to flog one of his half a dozen spares he’d bought at minimum price when the original sale was to raise money for charity, not fill his pockets.

1 Like

Fair point, I’ve previously worked for a company that would fix those kind of things but that was a sort of graded goods type of deal rather than the manufacturer themselves fixing them.

https://twitter.com/irispompeii/status/1089534929610915840?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1089534929610915840|twgr^393039363b636f6e74726f6c&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fbreakingnews%2Fdiscover%2Fshopper-sends-empty-hand-after-retailer-asks-for-photo-evidence-of-missing-item-900919.html

7 Likes

:smiley: absolutely bizarre

1 Like

this thread is making me feel sad about wastage

3 Likes