Roald Dahl is 100!

What is yr favourite book?

Matilda for me, although James and the Giant Peach is wonderful. Reading his stuff as a kid is something I really miss. I remember feeling dazzled by the imagination and the cruelty and the humour. His writing taught me the importance of joy and sarcasm. So good.

His grown up stuff is pretty good too. Cruelty in particular is a superb collection.

No he isn’t.

He’s dead.

6 Likes

The Twits is the best one.

There was a really rubbish programme about this the other day on Channel 4 and Matilda won

Gosh you’re edgy. How can I kill buzzes as effectively as you, Ser Edgelord?

1 Like

There are so many really rubbish programmes about Roald Dahl.

This one had David Walliams so wins the title of most rubbish programme about Roald Dahl

1 Like

Yeah, watched that. Programmes like that are always shit anyway.

The Twits is alright though. Or The Witches.

Not that I’ve read either of them, or any other Roald Dahl book, for getting on for 20 years…

Have read most of them in the last 12 months. BFG and Matilda are probably my favourites.

Danny Champion of the World is by some stretch his greatest children’s book, but Matilda always wins because it’s directly targeted at booky kids.

1 Like

Fantastic Mr Fox

1 Like

The Witches :heart:
Probably the best Welsh writer ever besides Dylan Thomas

It’s between George’s Marvellous Medicine and The Witches. I’m re-reading The BFG now, about 31 years since the last time!

Fox, Peach and Matilda were my favourites.
used to be properly scared by The Witches, and mildly freaked out by The Magic Finger

in the witches when he says he wants to stay being a mouse so him and his grandma can die at the same time :cry:

6 Likes

The witches for me clive

nah that was his worst one

There was a really, really low budget creepy animated version of The Magic Finger that I had on VHS as a kid which I’ve tried for a few years to track down now, to no avail. Still freaks me out a bit now thinking about it.

Feels difficult to nail down which one is his best. I remember my entire childhood being consumed by these really dark, sinister stories and was absolutely obsessed by them.

It’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for me

2 Likes

fantastic mr fox. or matilda. or the witches.

from his adult stuff ive only read my uncle oswald but that’s great too

Matilda for me

Of the grown up stuff, quite enjoyed Kiss Kiss