Robert Eggers' The Northman (spoiler free)

This attitude is a bit weird isn’t it, don’t worry mate you still made a good film! CGI is actually fine yanno!

In fairness some of the CGI in this was absolute bum (the boats arriving at the start, the blue foxes, the valkyrie).

1 Like

Just watched this on a massive cinema screen and had a lovely old time.
Very impressed by Skarsgård. What a brute.

3 Likes

Thought this was rubbish and really boringly generic, it’s also massively flopped even with the megawatt names associated with it so doubt we’ll be seeing him do anything of this scale again.

$12m on a $70m budget. Ouch.

Really liked this. Don’t think plot holes or silliness is a thing when adopting old viking myths or whatever. Also thought the CG was fine?

Particularly enjoyed when he solved the puzzle to defeat the dungeon mini boss and get the item he needed to progress the quest.

3 Likes

Dislike it more the more I think about it. Quite a draining watch

2 Likes

Yeah was quite hyped up for it but it is definitely a very plodding watch

1 Like

Ask me in two months and I doubt anything but mud and Skarsgasrds muscles will have left an impression

2 Likes

Eesh, was tempted to go see this soon but think I’ll give it the swerve and wait to watch it at home.

1 Like

Nah definitely worth watching at the cinema! Biggest screen possible if you can.

I didn’t realise until after that Eggers didn’t have final cut. Guess that accounts for the slightly uneven tone and lack of all-out wildness I was expecting.

Still enough spectacle up there to make a cinema trip worthwhile imo
(and surely it must be a good thing to support non-franchise big budget films?)

PLUS how often do you get to see Björk on a giant massive cinema screen? Not very.

4 Likes

no! hopefully this dissuades him and gets him back to making the films he’s actually good at :wink:

1 Like

Saw this a few days after it came out. Just didn’t see the thread.

Big fan of Eggers previously but mostly thought this was a pile of nonsense.

From the crappy looking long ships in the opening sequence my heart was already sinking and nothing really came along to bolster my confidence thereafter.

There were some good moments along the way, though I’ve forgotten what they were, but overall it felt pretty pointless. If I’d seen it twenty years ago I might have felt differently but things have moved on and I couldn’t see what motivated Eggers to make it.

Do we really need another film about a man seeking violent revenge?

The Green Knight, which I rather enjoyed but probably didn’t love, is a much, much better film.

1 Like

completely true sentence

Didn’t know that but had kind of assumed. Definitely felt like the film ended up in a no-man’s land between Eggers’ usual fare and blockbuster action in a way that didn’t really end up ticking either box. The more the film went on the more it seemed like the ritualistic/psychological stuff that’s Eggers’ usual stock in trade was sidelined in favour of men yelling priapic platitudes and tedious smashy-smashy action. The tonal result felt closer to 300 than anything else.

Can kinda put a “meshing of natural + supernatural epic” blanket over these from the past year…Let’s go then;

• The Northman
  • The Green Knight
  • Dune

0 voters

where’s the ‘‘all a bit rubbish’’ option?

1 Like

I really enjoyed it. A bit flimsy but hey, just great fun too. Enjoyed seeing the guy off Occupied get his nose chopped off. Also great to see Kate Dickie again, eh @whiterussian? Actually there were 3 Game of Thrones people in this I spotted. Not sure if there were others.

Went to see it on the big screen on Sunday night. Enjoyed it, it’s deliciously violent.

2 Likes

What a load of old horseshit

3 Likes