Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2017 Edition

generally more shoegaze leaning, but I figured Auburn Lull’s new track fits in here too:

Been really slow on picking this sort of stuff this year…what would you all recommend as “best of 2017 so far”?

I think my favourite ambient record so far this year is Hotel Neon - Context.
Also worth checking out that Sarah Davachi album.

2 Likes

Oh, I missed the Hotel Neon album. I really liked Remnants so will definitely check that out. I second the Sarah Davachi release, and add some obvious ones, like GAS - Narkopop, Bing & Ruth - No Home of the Mind, Lawrence English - Cruel Optimism, High Plains - Cinderland and Chihei Hatakeyama - Mirage.

They seem to be flying under the radar a bit but everything they release is gauzy loveliness.

Oh and Biosphere’s EP, natch.

The new Rafael Anton Irisarri LP ‘The Shameless Years’ is now available on Spotify (don’t know how to link to that here - sorry), and is really excellent. The last two tracks feature Siavash Amini too, what more could you want.

This track is available on the bandcamp, and is pretty incredible:

4 Likes

Wish I could multi-like.

Siavash Amini as well?! Swoon.

Came here to post this, it’s incredible!

1 Like

Somehow missed the new Lowercase Noises “The Swiss Illness” from earlier this year, but phenomenal.

So has no one mentioned Jasper Sits Out by Norman Westberg?

I love this album.

Also:

https://twitter.com/TheOGB/status/904615045929295872

2 Likes

Ambient beef!

Warmth’s newest “Home” is fantastic, dark loopy atmospheric ambient. Remixes by of their work by some favs Purl, Hotel Neon, Leandro Fresco, Tone Color as well.

1 Like

Speaking up Purl new EP “Foreign Winds” popped up yesterday on Spotify. “EP” clocking in at over 1 hour, haha. Will be checking that out tonight.

I love Purl - thanks for the heads up

Not sure if this is quite the right place but Four Tet did a Late Junction special with a lot to enjoy:

1 Like

Anyone listening to the new Jasmine Guffond album?

‘Traced’ - came out in July.

My album of the year so far.

1 Like

Big fan of Secret Pyramid, one of my favourite abinet droners, his new album might be his best yet, a little warmer than movements of night but just beautiful uplifting washes of electronica, with moments of sad contemplatiion

7 Likes

Enjoying this, ta

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning these, been listening to them today and they’re exactly what I’ve needed

2 Likes

Enjoying this release from today - a moogy and moody, slow and desolate stripped back ian william craig type of thing

2 Likes