Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2017 Edition

February is looking to be a pretty good month. More stuff coming from Heinali:

https://soundcloud.com/injazerorecords/sets/heinali-anthem-2

Think it’s all the light feeling which means this isn’t clicking for me. Thanks for sharing though.

Just listened and I like it a lot! ‘New Racist Overlords’ is wonderful (feels weird typing that)

Thanks very much

1 Like

No, thank you! Thanks for taking the time to check it out :smile:

1 Like

New Mind Over Mirrors streaming for a week thanks to The Quietus. Hoping the album sticks with crazy reeling instrumentals rather than leaning too heavily on vocals like the last one. I like Circuits des Yeux a lot but there’s a time and a place for everything, right?

After a few months away, I’m “back”.

Here is episode 120 - Best of 2016 pt1

Episode 121 - Best of 2016 pt2

pt3 is currently burning.

3 Likes

pt3 Mixcloud

full tracklist
part 1
1 Dowager by Anna Meredith
2 Murmur by Ital Tek
3 Same River Twice by Steve Hauschildt
4 Under the Sun by Mark Pritchard
5 Receiver by Tycho
6 Vorschit by Pye Corner Audio
7 Soul Manifest by Mikael Seifu
8 Last to Leave by C. Duncan
9 Attuna by Jherek Bischoff
10 Sleepless again by Mike Vass and Mairi Campbell
11 Nightmarket by Burial

part 2
1 Monument Builders by Loscil
2 In Red and Red by Dead Light
3 Porcelain by Dag Rosenqvist
4 1.0 by Body in the Thames
5 Neighbouring in Telescopes by Eluvium
6 Levels of Chaos by Ketev
7 What Sorrow by Rival Consoles
8 Pink Sun by The Field

part 3
1 Burgundy by Sarah Davachi
2 Iconic Air by Susumu Yokota
3 The Nearness by Ian William Craig
4 awakening by Western Skies Motel
5 Golden Times I by Ben Lukas Boysen
6 Clarity by Hammock
7 T4ngled by Samaris
8 The Kraken by Ben Chatwin
9 Music of the Air by Tim Hecker
10 The Tower and the Steward by Worriedaboutsatan

Been a while since I listened but used to and really enjoyed them. Recall I used to be able to d/l and stick them on my iPod which is much more convenient for me than streaming. Is this still an option, and if so can you refresh my memory on how to do so. Thanks.

Yep!

Here - this is the link to add it to your podcast app Loading...

If sheeldz is doing it, I’m doing it too - my ‘show’ Buried in Space is largely ambient/drone
(His is much more professional though)

1 Like

All of these tracks are right up my street so I’ll definitely listen to these.

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

Oh Hi! X

1 Like

The new Lawrence English LP is sounding incredible on first listen: Listen to Lawrence English's Cruel Optimism - The Wire

6 Likes

Made my day. Thanks.

2 Likes

Couple of good releases last week

Thomas William Hill (Origamibiro founder) - Asylum for Eve - excellent modern composition, I’ve been a bit picky with my modern classical lately, only a small handful of albums I loved last year, (Dead Light/Roger Goula) but I’ve always been fond of Origamibiro and although this looses some of the more electronic elements of that outfit, it keeps the field recordings, less used instruments and other elements which raise it above the rest and the compositions so good It could well take a solid spot as a favourite of the genre for me.

https://soundcloud.com/villagegreen181/thomas-hill-cirrostratus

full album on spotify.

3 Likes

and

Gailes (Benouit Pioulard and Rafael Anton Irasarri) - Seventeen Words. Great ambient textures as would be expected from these two, calm and meditative and wintery for the most part, on the whole perhaps closer to Pioulard’s collaboration with Kyle Bobby Dunn in Perils although the last track wouldn’t have felt out of place on the first Orcas album.

https://badabingrecords.bandcamp.com/album/seventeen-words

4 Likes

Awesome - I loved that last Origamibiro album and hadn’t heard about this. Sounds lovely.

Odham’s Standards great, outstanding texture to the music if you know what I mean, all the creaky at sea. old, lost world feel. butterfly jar is a gem.

Yeah, that’s exactly it. It’s like stepping into an old house that seems to have a life of it’s own. Asylum for Eve sounds a bit more conventional on first listen but still really quite beautiful. Thanks for this.

1 Like

I recorded some new stuff under my ‘ten’ banner which came out the end of last year…

I still have some CD’s left if anyone’s interested!

1 Like