Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2017 Edition

Really enjoying this. Proper throwback to late 90s / early 00s ambient techno in the vein of Bola, Arovane, and Phonem.

1 Like

Agreed, it was possibly that way at the very beginning but after that I just struggle to think of how they would work anything out.

Label "So to be clear this part in the contract which says that the music is 100% your intellectual property, and none of it is taken from copyrighted material, that’s not something we should be concerned about?

Artist “Yes”

Label “But”

Artist “Yes”

Bola you say? I’ll have a listen to that later then. Love Soup.

Great recommendation - this is mega.

1 Like

Just discovered tetsu inoue. Way ahead of his time calling his record #YOLO in 2005 tbh

1 Like

Check out Ambient Otaku - from the 1994 golden era of ambient.

His older stuff seemed to have crap techno beats in. Cba with that.

Nah, AO has not a beat in sight!

1 Like

I’m really liking this High Plains LP on Kranky. It’s Scott Morgan (he who is Loscil) and Mark Bridges (a cellist) and I think it’d be up a fair few of your proverbial streets.

https://highplainskranky.bandcamp.com/album/cinderland

Quite a bit of good stuff on Kranky this year already (as always). Anjou have a new LP out in a few weeks too, then the Justin Walter LP (really liked his last one ‘Lullabies & Nightmares’). Whoop whoop!

1 Like

Will have a listen. Quite enjoyed the Earthen Sea record last month on Kranky.

Alright, I’m gonna come out and say it. I don’t like this modern classical trend. I’m sure lots of you lot in this thread are fans but it just leaves me unmoved. Nils Frahm? No. High Plains? No. The odd record really hits the spot (Slow Meadow is the one which springs to mind), but most of it just washes over me.
It needs a twist. Alva Noto’s electronics intertwining with Ryuichi Sakamoto’s piano compositions, for example, are glorious. The rhythmic pulse of Biosphere’s Shenzhou (15 years ago!!) - yes please.

brambles
moon ate the dark

edit:
no dodgy electronics pls

Fair enough Twinkletoes. I’m a massive fan of the trend, really liked the Slow Meadow record you mentioned, Bing and Ruth LP from last month, and Willamette from last year. As Eric said, the Moon Ate the Dark LPs are great too.

1 Like

Checking these out.
This is what I want it to sound like:

1 Like

Aye. Each to their own and all that. Just feeling frustrated that my status as being someone who knows ambient is being diluted by not liking 50% of what is currently popular :frowning:
That Bing ‘n’ Ruth is another one which washed over me.

Yeah, you should probably leave :wink:

I prefer Tomorrow Was The Golden Age by Bing & Ruth, but I wouldn’t rush out to hear it if you’re not to fussed with the current LP.

I know it’s a bit late and all, but the Arrival soundtrack is chuffing marvellous. Really…

1 Like

Gas is playing at the Barbican with Huerco S in October. This is obviously huge news. Probably warrants its own thread.

2 Likes

Eek! Thanks for the heads up, so excited for this

This is fucking awesome.