Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2017 Edition

This sounds interesting

3 Likes

Yeah, was pretty underwhelmed. Was really excited about them when I first heard Eternal Dust a while back on the previous album but never really hit those heights again (on that album or this one) for me.

Halfway through track 1. This sounds like it will be up my street :slight_smile:

Don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere - Ian William Craig is coming back to the uk next month. Bristol, London and Brighton announced.

1 Like

Finally playing catch up!

Thanks Norman and @afan for the head up on this, sounding great so far, and i’ve got the new Anjou lined up after.

Not 2017-centric, but bandcamp have just put out a piece on the Iranian electronic scene. Obvs features yer man Siavash Amini and Porya Hatami, plus plenty of others.

I’m halfway through the one 9T Antiope album on Spotify - it’s great so far. Starts off Richard Skelton-y, then gets into some stuff which reminds me of the Susumu Yokota / Rothko collaboration.

Came here to recommend this - been hitting the spot for evening escapism this week.

1 Like

I knew that name rung a bell (9T Antiope).

They had a release on Eilean Records earlier this year called Isthmus.

I pick up every CD this label puts out as they’re always brilliant (and beautifully done).

1 Like

Here’s the 2017 edition of my Music for Office Workers series. It’s a playlist of gently euphoric electronic soundscapes, ambient gems, and modern classical compositions to ease you into or enliven your work day, without distracting you.

Tracklisting to kick it off is as follows - I’ll update it each time I discover something worth adding so check back throughout the year. Obviously still have TONNES of stuff to listen to from this thread:

Mary Lattimore - It Was Late and We Watched the Motel Burn
Jean-Michel Blais & CFCF - In a Landscape - Rework
Earlham Mystics - Hera
Clark - Peak Magnetic
Kelly Lee Owens - CBM
Noveller - Rituals
Yann Novak - Surroundings
Nicolas Jaar - Fight
New Jackson - Electric Blue - Original
R.Seiliog - Myopia
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - We Forget Who We Are
A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Gare du Nord, Pt. 1
Toydrum - I’ve Got a Future - Nick Cave & Warren Ellis Rework
William Ryan Fritch - Tending the Herd
Jean-Michel Blais & CFCF - Hasselblad 1
Ben Frost - Welcome To Fortitude
Agnes Obel - Citizen Of Glass - Instrumental
The Bug & Earth - Agoraphobia
Nathan Fake;Prurient - DEGREELESSNESS
Mary Lattimore - Wawa by the Ocean
The Black Madonna - He Is the Voice I Hear
Lambert - Sweet Apocalypse
Sebastian Plano - Blue Loving Serotonin

Listen here: Music for Office Workers - 2017 Edition - playlist by Drowned in Sound | Spotify

3 Likes

some soporific melancholia with fuzz & crackles

https://soundcloud.com/body-in-the-thames/sets/symmetrischema-funebrale

Has DIS stopped embedding Soundcloud or something? Or is there a thread limit for embeds or what ? Theo @1101010 ?

No idea. It does seem like sometimes things on here just stop working.

Embedding does require you press enter after the URL I think? But I just edited that post above and did that and it’s still just a URL…

:frowning:
well, thanks for trying

Looks like maybe there are specific issues with some streams?

https://meta.discourse.org/t/soundcloud-onebox/53685

I’ll keep looking…

New stuff from Rafael Anton Irisarii and Leandro Fresco. I’m on the first listen now - it’s pretty great!

2 Likes

There’s a new Justin Walter album :+1::+1::+1:
Lullabies and nightmares is one of my favs ever ever

2 Likes

I’m loving the new Kara-Lis Coverdale:

(out on Boomkat at the end of the week)

2 Likes

this really is niiiiiice

Obviously pretty mainstream but the new Gas is really lovely.

New* Mary Lattimore is predictably excellent—actually prefer this to a lot of her other stuff and there seems to be less discordance and more weird resonant tones. Sounds like she’s playing a guzheng/Chinese zither at points, it’s great.

*Actually a bunch of songs collected from over the past few years