Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2018 Edition

This is a cracking idea. Not sure if it’s worth me suggesting an album as my ambient/drone knowledge is a little on the basic side but I’d be well up for the listening and discussing.

1 Like

Even a ‘popular’ drone album would be worthy of discussion - think I’ve been involved in more ‘arguments’ about Tim Hecker on here than any other artist!

1 Like

Alright I’m in. But if all the cool IDM kids make fun of me I’m blaming you.

1 Like

1 Like

Yea i’d be up for this. Lots of great discovery’s off here in the past :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay. Will stop disrupting this thread now.

1 Like

This is pretty immersive and might appeal to many ears in here

I’ve been thinking about a concept for a mix titled “As the city sleeps” for some time. Soundtracking one of my favourite times of day, between 4-5am, the witching hour, when you fall in love, spend time getting to know the things about your friends you never knew and when towns and cities feel like your own.
When I was asked to contribute an hour of music to the inaugural “Monolithic Installation" (more info below), an immersive light installation in Bristol at Motion this summer it was the perfect catalyst to finally record the mix. I have gone back in and worked on it since and am happy to share it with you now.

“As featured in the Monolithic Installation, 5,376 suspended LEDs, an immersive light installation at Motion Bristol’s recent day party by Squid Soup & Ben Price, hear the other mixes here and look out for it on the road this year”

it’s download enabled too - a really good headphone commute

2 Likes

Not listened to this yet, but have been highly recommended this by my mate who runs the Monolith Cocktail blog.

One of the guys from Yndi Halda, released by a Greek Label.

12k has a sale on the Shuttle358 stuff! well worth a delve if you are not familiar. Frame is my favourite as i have probably mentioned loads but i also enjoy understanding wildlife and can you prove i was born. Pretty excited for the new one.

the shuttle358 back-catalogue sale. 50% off….https://t.co/RgMe3bXg3n

and FIELD is pre-order nowhttps://t.co/CFiENNlbg8

— 12k (@12k_label) January 16, 2018
1 Like

This thread seems an appropriate place as any to mention that after a couple of years’ break, we’re putting on a gig in London again!

It’s the excellent Fieldhead, Shape Worship and D.Glare at Paper Dress Vintage on the 22nd February.

There’s info and links and stuff here

and here:

And if you can’t make the gig, Fieldhead are going on a little tour and are well worth checking out if they’re playing near you:

Happy New Year to the best thread on the boards.

Very excited to see that Brian Leeds (previously Huerco S, now Pendant) has a new album out tomorrow!

Limited Vinyl from Boomkat (https://boomkat.com/products/make-me-know-you-sweet), really looking forward to hearing this!

1 Like

This is up on bandcamp now…

He posted up the tracklist for this the other day btw.

It’s a great hour of listening & I’m pretty chuffed to be in the same mix as Steve Reich, Sun Ra, Mark Hollis, Mark Pritchard, Arthur Russell, OPN, Radiohead, Luke Abbott, Demdike Stare & Cluster

Edit: no idea why that posted as a reply to wonton

Damn phones - should be under the midland mix

3 Likes

I have to say I am REALLY enjoying this. Really propulsive in places, serene in others and with nice continuity through the use of vocal samples throughout. Thanks for posting it!

And it’s even got Meeting In The Aisle by the Radiothreads on it! Something for every bedwetter!

My pleasure, believe me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure where I picked up the recommendation (possibly last years thread) but I’ve been listening to ‘Music for Nine Postcards’ by Hiroshi Yoshimura a lot in the past week. It’s absolutely sublime, just perfect minimal piano/synth work which is so easy to get lost in.

I was reading up on the origins and it appears he had begun writing but it was a trip to a museum which inspired him on to finish the album and then submit it to the museum for it to be played whilst people were there – it’s not hard to hear why they were so accepting.

It got me thinking about when I listen to this type of music, that is minimal or ambient type of stuff, and how it has changed over the years. I used to pretty much solely listen late at night, in headphones – a typical relaxing kind of set up. These days I find I like it as a soundtrack as I’m walking around town to/from work. It takes the edge of everything and adds a lot of calmness to my day. The juxtaposition of the hustle & bustle of city life with the gentle tranquillity of albums such as this really works.

Guess Eno was onto something with Music for Airports after all….!

1 Like

New Daniel Avery EP might appeal to y’all. Also posted in dance thread but it’s generally as ambient as it is dancey. SAW vibes. Real good.

Bandcamp just put out a post of recent ambient records to check out. Just starting out on the r beny one and it sounds pretty lush.

2 Likes

Hurrah! I love when bandcamp do this.

1 Like