Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2018 Edition

That is so kind of you to say, brought a huge smile to my face :slight_smile: This community has been such a huge support and motivation for me to keep doing what I do, so thank you all for that.

1 Like

Also, as one of the lucky few to have gotten an advanced listen on these Disintegration State compilations you guys have been working on, I just want to say that you have all done an amazing job. This is a truly fantastic little record you have put together and I am hugely impressed by the amount of talent on this board. Though I won’t make any promises , I will do my absolute best to write something up about these at some point down the line on my blog. Feeling pretty grateful to be a part of this little community, and I would love to give something back.

6 Likes

:grinning:
Cheers dude - glad you enjoyed it!

this is ‘very good’

I like your blog a lot

2 Likes

I don’t know where to post this because it’s not from 2016 and it’s not an album, but this right here is absolutely fucking brilliant:

Tome to the Weather Machine’s mixes are great for discovering recent ambient/drone releases.

i always find one or two songs/releases that i enjoy/want to delve into. and there’s generally at least one sonically different song to keep things interesting.

Thanks to the ambient/drone listening boards I discovered Black Dog who I had never heard of. Needless to say fantastic stuff, and just saw looks like they have two very new releases. About to dive in…

2 Likes

Oooooo thanks for the heads up!

Holy moly, the title track on Black Daisy Wheel is so lush.

These are great - Black Daisy Wheel is the best thing they’ve done for a while. Have you listened to their early stuff like Bytes?

I haven’t gone that far back in their discography just yet, but I certainly will. Agree on Black Daisy Wheel ambient darkness to the max. Loved it.

1 Like

https://www.stoneinfocus.net/stoneinfocus/v-i-c-i-m-convenience Another excellent, lesser known, recently released ambient album for you fine folks! If you liked the last couple I’ve posted, this should be right on par.
Darkly engaging stuff with moments of breathtaking beauty and introspection.

“Permeating each moment of continent’s duration is the unshakable sense of the inexplicable and the profound taking place, like peering momentarily beyond the veil of human understanding into a knowledge both ancient and transformative. sarus the witness burns with the mystical glow of dark magic coursing through the heart of some living, breathing island; synths falling like the crash of water on rocks before dispersing to a fine mist, an intangible energy flowing like life’s blood through subterranean root systems and pouring out from the trees in echoing birdsong.”

2 Likes

since it’s june, can people post a little list of their half-year favourites?

water memory - emily m. sprague
a heart to heart about our values - the fun years
saudade - r beny
the searchers - kyle bobby dunn
rafael anton irisarri - sirimiri

Anenon “Tongue”
Mark Pritchard “The Four Worlds”
Black Dog “Black Daisy Wheel”
Warmth “Parallel” (ambient album of year so far for me)
Gray Acres “Gray Acres”
36 “Circuit Bloom”
SVLBRD “Stratus”

to name a few…

2 Likes

Black Daisy Wheel is absolutely brilliant, one of the year’s finest for sure.
Post-Truth is excellent too, a more banging type of record…

3 Likes

definitely enjoyed Post Truth as well. Sounds like im on the New York City subway at midnight and the train has no intentions of stopping :smile:

2 Likes

Hotel Neon - Means of Knowing
Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto - Glass

this is TOP DRAWER

i’m also a very large phil fan, so it fills me with a perverse joy to hear a dark ambient record sampling the microphones

Hotel Neon - Means of Knowing
Gray Acres - Gray Acres
Andrew Tasselmyer - Places Real and Imagined
Warmth - Parallel
ProtoU - Edge of Architecture
Uon - Untitled
Dirk Serries - Epitaph
Caretaker - Everywhere at the End of Time part 4
Sargasso Sea - True North Square
Yann Novak - The Future is a Forward Escape into the Past

2 Likes

Go on then, here’s ten that I’ve liked this year (technically 11)…

Sarah Davachi - Let Night Come On Bells End The Day (AOTY contender)
Rafael Anton Irisarri - Sirimiri // Midnight Colours
Ben Vince - Assimilation
The Caretaker - Everywhere… pt.4
Jon Hassell - Listening To Pictures
Gas - Rausch
Dedekind Cut - Tahoe
Pendant - Make Me Know You Sweet
Uon - Untitled
C. Diab - Exit Rumination

2 Likes