Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2019 Edition

Does IDM count in here?

The new Tycho stuff has Saint Sinner on it as a vocalist, but the instrumental version of this, Japan, is the most Dive-sounding they’ve been in a decade.

1 Like

New Rex The Dog track on Kompakt.

1 Like

Really like the new EP by Galya Bisengalieva (doesn’t seem to be on Tidal yet). Dissonant violin mixed in with some turntablism. Really like her first EP as well.

2 Likes

This is wonderful.

2 Likes

Yup some really good dark drone on this one.

1 Like

Gah, got so much to catch up on from this thread.

Also exciting news about a new Siavash Amini LP on Room40 coming in August, sounds promising…

4 Likes

I found his last album to be really difficult to engage with due to the crazy extremes in volume, but this sounds decent from the first track. Concept sounds interesting too.

3 Likes

Was that Foras? I don’t think I listened to that one, last solo of his I’m sure I heard was TAR. I struggle to keep up with all his output, and nothing has come close to Subsiding or his tracks with RAI on The Shameless Years.

2 Likes

So much this.

1 Like

Yeah, Foras was the one I was talking about. There was some really harsh stuff on that, and such extremes of volume I found it difficult to listen to. Looks like there’s been a couple of other collaborations and things since, which I hadn’t realised.

Those tracks on the Shameless Years are immense. I think that record’s going to go down as an all time classic of the genre. Still listen to it about once a week.

4 Likes

Solastalgia out Friday…

3 Likes

So fucking excited! Those tracks he’s put out make it sound like it has the potential to be an AOTY contender.

Really hope the vinyl is posted in the next couple of days because I’m moving house in a couple of weeks :grimacing:

2 Likes

Streaming here!!!

3 Likes

Oh shit! :star_struck:

Conflicted by the fact that this is a) going to be amazing and b) better than my own climate change themed drone record from earlier this year.

1 Like

EEK!!! :heart_eyes::raised_hands:

1 Like

I feel now is the time to mention for the first time that I’m kind of in awe of your work. Whenever I hear it I’m always blown away tbh. This RAI record will have to go some to match yours! Though I’m just getting to the end of the first track, which is colossal, and of course followed by Coastal Trapped Disturbance, and… err… :laughing:

4 Likes

Ah, thanks pal! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Sleep… is currently 2nd in my most listened to albums on Last.fm, snuggled between Billy Woods and Pye Corner Audio. Ol’ Rafael’s got his work cut out on dislodging that tbh.

2 Likes

Having said that I have bought the vinyl 3 tracks into this.

I can’t afford it but his stuff always sells fast so I’d be an absolute fool not to, right? Right.

1 Like

Absolutely. I’d buy it in a second if I had any money.

1 Like