Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2019 Edition

Dag Rosenqvist released a new record? A month ago? God damn I had no idea!

1 Like

the vinyl’s already sold out on his bandcamp page :frowning_face:

The Christopher Willits record is cleansing me terrifically well. Thanks. Also it’s really weird hearing the numbers station voice in Valiska’s “Numbers 3” in a different context to BOC’s Gyroscope. Good tho.

1 Like

the new RAI is absolute ambient gold folks.

4 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I will definitely be checking it out.

1 Like

New Lifted album came out a few weeks ago, really liked the first one and this is even weirder and better:

Experimental, ambienty synthy improv that sometimes feels a bit jazzy, includes some low-key collaborations with Bass Cleff, Beatrice Dillon, and AyA from OOIOO.

2 Likes

may have to look into this

generally speaking, I’m very game for ambient albums that have covers that look like this

it’s really good

I’d love to see a new BoC album with this kind of sunny-yet-haunting vibe (kind of like a midpoint between Campfire Headphase and Geogaddi – not to say that TCH isn’t already kind of spooky in its own subtle way)

2 Likes

The cover of her first is even better

1 Like

also it finally got me to explore Devo beyond ‘Whip It!’

Aw man…

1 Like

His twitter is not pleasant reading this morning (CW: suicidal). Feels weird to think there are folks with bad views in the ambient scene but I suppose men are bad everywhere. Good on his label and collaborators for speaking out - hope he gets the help it seems he needs.

Yeah, it generally seems like such a supportive little place but people are people and men can be awful wherever and whatever they’re into.

It does seem like he has some mental health issues (interviews I’ve read often seem to mention depression) and I hope that he gets help, feels more positive and can begin to make amends to people for his and their sakes.

2 Likes

For someone like myself who does not have social media, what are the comments of RAI and the like stemming from?

Don’t know what the original comments were but here’s some of the response etc from BKD and others involved:

I’ve often wondered what was going on with the dude with his frequent desperate Bandcamp posts begging people to buy his stuff. He hasn’t seemed in a good place for some time. I hope once he’s done lashing out he manages to find some peace somehow but he sounds like a nightmare to deal with.

2 Likes

Gah. As a fan of this little world but oblivious to the behaviours and twitter accounts of most that make it so special, it comes as a bit of a shock to read these things from KBD.

As you and Aphex mentioned it seems like such a supportive and collaborative scene, and with the emotional scale of the work that’s created within it, it’s so unexpected to see someone behave in this way. That’s my naivety and my romanticising of this music and it’s world.

The private message to Pioulard is so hateful, I’m pleased it’s not being tolerated. I hope that KBD gets some help, and can find a less hateful state of mind.

3 Likes

Wow this is pretty intense behaviour. Some people just shouldn’t be allowed twitter.

Occasionally somewhat Philip Jeck-ish crumbly ambient inspired by British UFO stories

say no more, says this guy who is slightly fascinated with British smalltown mysteries and UFOs

3 Likes

Man, the KDB shit is awful.