Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2019 Edition

This sounds like such a back-handed compliment and I always worry about waving it around to ambientish albums in case it comes across as ‘ignorable’ but I have just added the ‘Make We Here’ album to my For marking to playlist which means it is a great find!

1 Like

I’m having a very Petrels day, currently working my way through his albums on vinyl and wondering why it’s
been such an inexcusably long time since I last reminded myself of just what a genius Oil Barrett really is.

Haeligiwielle is a stunning debut…

Ben

3 Likes

I’m giving Haeligiwielle another listen after reading this. Forgot how good it was. Canute is magnificent.

2 Likes

It’s a wonderful record. Probably my favourite Petrels.

3 Likes

Oh. My. Gods. It is.

I’ve seen Ollie perform it live a few times and it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Just that huge wash into the closing chords with a massive drone behind it. UGH!!!

I’m currently listening to Characterisation Level from Onkalo, which is many shades of droney loveliness…!

Ben

2 Likes

That sounds incredible. I imagine he’d be amazing to catch live.

One day.

I think I might continue through his back catalogue when I’m back in work tomorrow. I can’t remember which ones I’ve heard and which ones passed me by.

1 Like

I think I agree, AT. There are incredible tracks liberally distributed over his other records, but I think he hit (silty, sandy, clay!) gold with his first LP.

He did a live show a few years ago with a choir, and I was going to join and go and perform…but it just never quite worked out with kids, work, distance etc…

Bum

Ben

1 Like

He tends to get a bit more ‘conventional’ with each record.

Onkalo is fantastic. Mima has a very fond place in my heart as it’s my daughter’s name! Flailing Tomb has more ‘normal’ song structures, but is VERY good. Jord I have never listened to as much, and will remedy that this week!

Ben

1 Like

Been enjoying Electro Review as a newish review site for ambient and IDM. Has an evocative writing style (which has been particularly lovely in the context of a couple of DS reviews!) and taps into pretty underground artists.

3 Likes

I may be a smidge biased but this is the greatest site on the whole Internet. They have impeccable taste.

2 Likes

Yes, yes this McPhee record is very good indeed.

1 Like

Has kind of a Chris Isaak ‘Wicked Game’ feel to it. I can dig it.

1 Like

Yeah it’s great. He’s the other act supporting worriedaboutsatan with me in March. Very much looking forward to his set.

Interested to hear what worriedaboutsatan is all about…

1 Like

oooo Nicholas Jaar just released ‘Nymphs’ on vinyl??? Yes please!

They’re really fucking good. I mean, really. Not really sure why they aren’t way more famous than they are.

Two brilliant things from last year:

Superb minimal techno

Lovely droney synth ambience

Plus the two of them release some fantastic music under their own names.

4 Likes

Oh christ. Know all about Thomas Ragsdale ‘Honley Archives’ was brilliant last year. I will be looking into this no doubt.

3 Likes

Just threw on ‘Blank Tape’ from 2016. Two words come to mind: oh yeah!

‘Tower and the Steward’ what a banger!

4 Likes

^this. SO good. Gutted to be missing their UK tour.

3 Likes