Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2020 Edition

This is lovely. Definitely good quarantine headphone music.

1 Like

This really is great. Out today!

This is a big week. Jacaszek, Daniel Avery & Allesandri Cortini, Zakè & Slow Dancing Society, r beny, and this. Any others I’m missing?

Cant tell you how much I loved the 9128 weekend takeover. Was awesome to see them all in the chat, and to feel so involved with it all - such a friendly and kind community. Personal highlights were Warmth, Todos, Purl, 36, r beny, Benoit Pioulard, Tom Middleton (some incredible unreleased/new Global Communication material this morning). Missed a fair few unfortunately but still, caught so much awesome stuff! Thanks so much @McGarnagle for bringing it to my/our attention! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Nicolas Jaar too. A good week to be socially distant

1 Like

Listening now in headphones and vinyl ordered. the 9218 broadcast was certainly an effective marketplace as well as simply a joy overall.

Merrin Karras set listened to…vinyl purchased. Done deal.

Any chance they’ll make any of the sets available to listen to/DL again? Would dearly like to hear Olga W’s set. amongst others…

Ben

1 Like

Ryan from ASIP kept saying “I HAVE ALL THE KEYS” when people were repeatedly asking him about hearing the mixes again. So I imagine they’ll be available at some point soon! Maybe worth just continually checking their twitter/website/chat. The only things I have so far are the soundcloud of the (really terrific) Todos mix that started it off, and my own playlist of the 36 set.

1 Like

Went bonkers on Bandcamp on Friday…the Corey Fuller piece is an early highlight for me but I’ll need much more time to sift through everything. now I have something like 50 new albums to start poring through, and $0 in my bank account. I couldn’t believe the generosity and support all around. What a wonderful day.

The 9128 radio stream was lovely. that Marcus Fischer set last night, in particular, was unbelievably dreamy. A perfect bedtime soundtrack here. I have it on good authority that it was recorded, so hopefully we see at least a fragment of it released into the wild some day.

Cheers everyone. These are crazy times, and I feel like my blood pressure is through the roof most days…but I’m thankful we have music and community now more than ever.

6 Likes

Hey folks, don’t want to JAG up the thread too much, but recently started a new podcast (basically decided I wanted to be a cool dude like @sheeldz). This week’s episode has a lot of experimental/ambient stuff from this year that I think you’ll enjoy (a lot of stuff that you’ve all already been shouting a lot about but hopefully at least 1 or 2 tracks that have flown under the radar).

4 Likes

Listened to this yesterday, really lovely.

1 Like

New Arovane out today.

2 Likes
1 Like

Because of the recent ASIP weekend thing I was motivated to go through their older releases that I’d not heard. This is great…

Probably most have heard it but somehow it passed me by.

This is really good - streets better than Dropped Pianos. Really compelling, love it when the off notes really hit.

1 Like

While we’re on the topic of pianos…

Mentioned before in the thread, but now out and in my ears, this is great. Third track, at a satisfying 12m 45s, is particularly brilliant. For lovers of ambient-drone walls of gently oppressive and euphoric sound.

Slow Reels - Farewell Islands

Ben

Edit - why am I so useless at embedding the Bandcamp images? Someone give me an idiot’s guide, would you?!

4 Likes

Click on share/embed then choose your style, think they offer 3. I always go for the smallest, then copy the URL link and paste here.

1 Like

Thanks, man!

Ben

Loads of good stuff on this, a free sampler for Stephan Mathieu’s mastering business, proper hi res lossless files too :smiley:

http://schwebung.bandcamp.com/album/scale

3 Likes

New SVLBRD on Faint :slightly_smiling_face:

Album incoming.

2 Likes

finally had a chance to listen to the album Emily A. Sprague put out on Bandcamp Friday. it’s absolutely wonderful

2 Likes

I feel like this fits better here than in the rolling shoegaze thread (and I posted previous W&C efforts in the listening club):

Just as shimmery as you might expect, particularly Moth To The Flame (if you don’t like the vocals in the opener)…