Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2020 Edition

Oh yes! Love me a bit of Oiseaux-Tempête. Frederic D. Overland is a bit of a hero of mine. First came across him in Farewell Poetry.

Their most recent project, Tlamess, is an OST, is lovely on orange vinyl, and likely to be in my best end of year list.

Similarly, his record with Irena Tomažin, Arba, Dâk Arba is one of my favourites of 2020. Drone electric hurdy gurdy. What’s not to like?

Ben

2 Likes

This record is bloody lovely

5 Likes

oooo Lady’s Mantle was fantastic. Looking forward to this.

2 Likes

Psyched for this. Lady’s Mantle was incredible

2 Likes

Jake Muir is gonna be an all-timer at this rate

2 Likes

Maybe not QUITE the place to put it, but the new one from our boy @worrier1 is a absolute STUNNER folks. Would expect nothing less. Some great dark droney electronica. Can’t recommend highly enough.

9 Likes

why thanks very much! :slight_smile:
plenty more stuff in the pipeline in a similar vein to that too!

2 Likes

Enjoyed this Alva Noto remix of a piece by Albanian cellist Redi Hasa which popped up in my Spotify release radar - now listening to the album the original piece came from, The Stolen Cello, which is pretty good if you happen to like that particular instrument.

1 Like

This is really excellent, instantly hooked and drawn in. Was hoping to avoid any more purchases this year, but this is pretty special.

Is it too early to start thinking about our fave a/mc records of the year? Mary Lattimore, Ghost Halo or Mitochondrial Sun probably my front runners at the moment.

Never too early to start thinking. Some big ones still to come (looking at you Basinki).

I’ll compile everyone’s year end lists again, similar to last year if ya’ll want. Think we got it going around Dec. 1st, so stay tuned!

3 Likes

Yeah, would love you to do the scores on the doors if you’re happy to.

Any thoughts on how many to list? We don’t want to be prescriptive/restrictive, but aiming for a common number of nominations will make for better stats.

I’ve just read that back and realised how utterly dull and dweeby that sounds…

Ben

1 Like

Last year we did a top ten. 10 points to your #1, 9 for your #2. I’ll tabulate them all and release our best of’s on Jan. 1st, 2021. :+1: :+1:

I’ll send out a reminder early December.

2 Likes

Ten? I have to narrow out down to TEN?!! :flushed:

Ben
:o)

2 Likes

Any notable releases today for our happy little thread, team?

I’ve started to listen to the new Jasmine Guffond/Erik K Skodvin (I love Deaf Center) and think I’ll love it, but havent been in a good environment yet (too noisy!).

Any other notables to mention from today’s new records?

Ben

Just the 8 hour Tangerine Dream box set, and the new Disintegration State release for me.

3 Likes

Thanks bud!

I think it’s great and probably right up the street of a few people in here. Parts of it sound like (my faves) Emeralds with burbling synths and arpeggios, other bits have buried driven kicks carrying along swashes of sound, right through to proper intense drone.

It’s ace.

5 Likes

Yep, it’s a bunch of non-ambient elements running through traditional ambient structures. So gooooood

3 Likes

Not a fan of the vocal style on the first track (Charlemagne Palestine esque) and also just generally very different to JGs other albums (although they all have their own character so that’s not that surprising) but it drew me in as the album progressed to the point where I basically just wanted to hit repeat at the end.

So definitely one I reckon is worth the time even if it initially jars a bit.

1 Like

Planning on listening properly in headphones on the way home from work later.

In the main, I’m not a great fan of vocal in my ambient/drone/experimental, unless its hugely treated almost like a non-vocal instrument. There are exceptions, of course.

Be interesting to see how I get on with this.

Ben

1 Like