Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2021 Edition

Happy New Year my kind folk! Another year is upon us, so another thread must be created of the best genre in music. Looking forward to all the wonderful recommendations and discussion this year. Keep up the good work. Also, without further adieu, here are the top ten ambient/modern composition/drone records as selected by the DiS faithful for 2020:

1. Sarah Davachi- Cantus, Descant
  2. Mary Lattimore- Silver Ladders
  3. Jake Muir- The Hum of Your Veiled Voice
  4. Galya Bisengalieva- Aralkum
  5. Rafael Anton Irisarri- Peripeteia
  6. Daniel Avery, Alessandro Cortini- Illusion of Time
  7. Greenhouse- Six Songs For Invisible Gardens
  8. Alva Noto- Xerrox 4
  9. Julianna Barwick- Healing Is A Miracle
  10. Ian Willian Craig- Red Sun Through Smoke

There you have it folks, and what a list indeed! Happy listening for 2021!

14 Likes

That’s a great list that has emerged isn’t it.

I haven’t heard Jake Muir or Greenhouse so need to check those out as task one for 2021.

4 Likes

Couple new ones to start the year off right, that dropped today.

6 Likes

Man another absolutely beautiful shimmering record from Hotel Neon, at the complete peak of their game right now.

5 Likes

Thanks so much for collating this, @NeilYoung, and here’s to another brilliant year of reciprocal recs in the best thread on the internet.

Defo check out the Green-House record, @zanimos - I only got to it from people’s AOTY lists here and it’s lovely. Definitely a headphones record for me as there are beautiful field recordings in the tracks that tinkle around your ears.

Ben

4 Likes

Ahhhh I am going to love this new fresh thread :heart_eyes:

What a source of joy.

1 Like

Sounds nice on first listen

1 Like

Long time no post. Happy new year everyone! I felt a little lost mentally for most of 2020, but I just wanted to thank this group for shedding light on some great music that helped me through. I would’ve put together a list of favorites, like I do most years, but frankly speaking I bought and listened to more music than ever before and it would’ve been impossible. It was incredible. I’ll just say that I spent a lot of time with Andrew Chalk’s music on bandcamp, now that it’s all there.

Cheers everyone, and here’s to more great music this year.

7 Likes

Cheers!

The new albums are wonderful. Obviously.

3 Likes

Happy New Year to the best thread on the boards.

A wonderful top ten, I need to give the Mary Lattimore another go. Also just spotted the Green-House record in the Resident sale, if anyone was interested.

1 Like

Oh FFS!

I said to myself that I would try to be really good this year, especially with vinyl purchasing.

Well that lasted less than two days. Thanks for nothing!

Ben

1 Like

Haha, sorry not sorry! Enjoy x

Was my first listen of the year, really really good.

1 Like

Worth noting that Hotel Neon’s entire digital discography is currently $8 ($8!) on BC.
Slightly infuriating for me as I only need their last two albums which are $7 each…

2 Likes

It’s true, set up that 80% discount a long time ago for a sale and just never dropped it - haha. We’ve done quite well with it and I’m glad Bandcamp gives us the option. I think it has helped the music spread a bit further. Shoot me a message and I’d be happy to give anyone here a discount code to match that rate on anything you’d like.

3 Likes

Super gentle, pillowy ambience from Ian Hawgood out to start the new year. I love how Ian really digs in to the minimalist/lowercase side of the genre and doesn’t really make any apologies about it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dig in

5 Likes

Yeah, have been looking at that since getting the mail shot this morning. Already committed to getting the Black Swan record - looks beautiful and I love his stuff, so I’m sure it will be perfect for a COVID January!

Ben

Haven’t listened to Hammock properly since Oblivion Hymns, but got hold of the 10th anniversary remaster of Longest Year today and ooft.

It’s luvverley.

Ben

1 Like

Aye, I like them when they go full ambient like “maybe they will sing for us”.

Think they’re a good/great dream pop band and a brilliant ambient band

1 Like