Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2021 Edition

I stumbled on her stuff because she did a great collaborative album with the cellist Leila Bordreuil.

Just discovered this

It’s from 2013, but I’d not heard of the artist before. Perfect cold, sunny Saturday/Sunday afternoon vibes. Tankah in particular is lovely.

1 Like

Enjoying the shorter compositions on the new AWVFTS. More 3 min tracks on ambient albums pls.

5 Likes

Think this new LP will appeal to people in here, not an artist I knew or can see mentioned on DIS before though seems to have been going for a while. Electronic hums, whirrs, glitches, occasional vocals, hints of dub and african polyrhythms.

Heretic! Burn him, burn him!!

:laughing:

Ben

1 Like

I’m enjoying it. Digging the occasional Hecker-esque noisy bits.

2 Likes

The label most of my ambient work is on released an anthology today to mark their second birthday. Good intro to a range of ambient and downtempo electronica.

2 Likes

Where to start with field recordings? I’ve realised that a lot of the records I love use a lot of field recordings but I don’t have anything that is entirely (or mainly) field recordings. Are artists making records where field recordings are foregrounded and, if so, which are the good ones?

I really like Viento by Lawrence English, it’s 2 recordings of Antarctic blizzards

2 Likes

oo thanks - just the very thing!

1 Like

Really like this. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

I really like an artist called Kate Carr. Some of her stuff is pure field recordings like wind turbines, electrical wires or street scenes, other times she combines with electronics.

She’s prolific but here’s a good one

Edit - slightly random pick purely as I happen to be listening to her album Splinters at the moment

1 Like

This is pretty good from Biosphere a few years back. Strikes a good balance between having the field recordings front and centre while having enough going on musically to engage me.

3 Likes

Chris Watson, too.

1 Like

You beat me to recommending Chris Watson!

This collaborative album between Chris Watson & BJ Nilsen where they tracked & recorded the same storm system moving over their respective locales is a personal fave:

3 Likes

A Slovakian company called LOM manufactures some wonderfully sensitive microphones and electromagnetic sensors used by a lot of field recordists (myself included), but also runs a label featuring a lot of field recording-focused and electro acoustic work from Eastern European artists.

Highly recommended checking out all of it, of course, but one of my all-time favorite records in any genre is this gem from 2015 by Jan Rhyalsky called Iron Skeletons. Recordings of vibrating walls and structures in an abandoned concrete factory on the Russian/Chinese border. Super ethereal and ghostly tones from the microphones.

I would also recommend anything by Jez Riley French, a microphone builder in the UK known for his contact microphones and hydrophones (great equipment I also love and would recommend to anyone). He has released a huge volume of work over the years but I particularly love his work under the guise of the “intuitive music ensemble:” intuitive music ensemble - ime | ias | ime: JrF, the female, Toshimaru Nakamura, Tamaru, Mark Wastell, Installing, Amy Todman, Gisele Bone | Jez riley French

Bandcamp did a nice feature on his practice not too long ago: Jez riley French’s Life of Listening | Bandcamp Daily

5 Likes

Oooo brilliant! Loads to check out, thanks everyone!

really recommend this one - if anyone is looking for a listen today… its got some great tracks on it- think i have a download card as well if any interest

2 Likes

Two new Alessandro Cortini long pieces uploaded to Bandcamp today

3 Likes

PITP have released a mystery album

2 Likes